Job purpose/Primary objectives
A position is available for an experienced Geotechnical Engineer who wishes to develop their career and take responsibility for the Geotechnical aspects of wind farm projects. Candidates will be expected to work closely with other business units including development, construction management and operations to deliver project requirements.
Suitable candidates will be expected to have:
- Extensive experience of preparing geotechnical desk studies
- Experience in preparing other related desk studies (e.g. Peat Slide Risk Assessments, Geo-Environmental, Historic Mining Assessments etc.)
- Extensive experience in the design, specification and management of geotechnical fieldworks
- Experience in logging strata (e.g. trial pits and cores)
- Experience of inspecting, testing and approving works
- Experience of Geotechnical Design to Eurocode 7
Chartered or Incorporated status through a relevant Institution would be advantageous, as would design experience in other aspects of Civil Engineering. Experience and knowledge of onshore wind projects would also be considered beneficial although not essential.
Candidates should either be Geotechnical Engineers or Civil Engineers with a strong bias in Geotechnical Engineering and have excellent technical and project management skills. Along with an attractive employment package and benefits scheme, full support for continuing professional development will be provided.
- Preparation and checking of all Geotechnical reports
- Design, specification and management of Geotechnical fieldworks
- Assist junior Engineers with preparation of reports and the design, specification and management of Geotechnical works.
- Take a technical leader role within the team, taking responsibility for and developing standards, procedures and specifications to drive forward the development and improvement of the business.
- Close coordination with other disciplines and business units to deliver project requirements.
- Meeting Clients and advising on solutions with a particular focus on identifying value.
- Liaising with necessary statutory consultees to implement solutions
- Ensure designs / works are compliant with quality procedures and relevant Health and Safety Legislation
- Provide all necessary documentation required for the successful implementation and delivery of a project
- Conduct inspections and oversee testing of Geotechnical works
- Review and comment on suitability of third party Geotechnical designs and fieldworks
- Responsible for the commercial aspects of projects including tender bids
- Mentor Junior staff working towards professional qualifications
- Contributing to the Construction and Engineering business as a whole
skills / qualifications
- Accredited degree in Civil Engineering or a related field
- MSc in Geotechnical Engineering would be an advantage
- Chartered or near Chartered status would be an advantage
- Organised and diligent
- Experience in the design, specification and management of intrusive geotechnical fieldworks is essential
- Practical site experience including inspection and assessment of works
- Good communication, report writing and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in Geotechnical design to Eurocode 7 is essential. Experience in other aspects of design would be beneficial.
- NEBOSH; S/NVQ or similar site safety supervision qualification would be an advantage
- Computer literate with Microsoft Office, AutoCAD etc.
- Experience in the onshore wind industry would be considered an advantage
- Full UK driving licence as travel throughout the UK will be required.
- Full UK permit for work or residency.