Design Manager - BAM Nuttall - London
Design Manager - Major Projects - London.
BAM Nuttall is one of the UK's leading civil engineering contractors employing over 3000 staff nationwide. We currently require a Design Manager to lead and co-ordinate design, on major design and build infrastructure projects for our Major Projects division.
Your Key Activities will include:
• Manage the design and CAD team, resource and ensure they are focussed on supporting the delivery of the designs to meet the needs of the business.
• Lead design assurance processes, identifying best practice, arears for improvement and areas of concern.
• Co-ordinate and manage the input from consultants and specialist sub-contractors engendering collaboration at the interface between BAM Nuttall and the designers.
• Lead the implementation of BIM on major projects.
• Establish and promote best practice in health, safety, sustainability, cost, time, constructability and appropriate quality matters.
• Collate and promote strategic advice and knowledge associated with the designer's processes and design management best practice.
• Provide operational, strategic, contractual and technical advice and support to bid
preparation and project management.
• Promote business process for design management by contributing to / delivering training for
managing design delivery and on company design management procedures / guidance.
• Promote use of engineering expertise and advice to add value to the process of design
• Manage delivery of guidance and service support to bid and project meetings to contribute a
clear view for delivering design management.
• Prepare, maintain and communicate design commissioning, commercial and delivery records.
• Promote business in design and construct by personal contact with employers and
stakeholders, demonstrating high levels of commitment to their requirements.
• Keep management informed of divisional design management activity and progress
• Actively investigate emerging new techniques and technologies in design management and
advise on suitable application within the division.
• Raise the profile of BAM Nuttall in design management, attend conferences, seminars, and
give presentations when needed.
• Perform peer review of technical proposals.
• Take a personal interest in identifying, coaching and developing key staff.
Your qualifications and experience will include:
• Knowledge of design delivery process and procedures gained through successful experience of design and design co-ordination role for projects.
• Knowledge of project management process gained through successful experience of project
• Knowledge of relevant legislation and how it relates to design implementation.
• Knowledge of appropriate design standards and procedures.
• Degree qualified.
• Membership of an appropriate Institution (ICE, IStructE, etc.).
• Experience in tunnelling, rail and/or stations would be desirable.
You will have:
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• The ability to form effective relationships with partners and the delivery team.
• Strategic and a creative insight to understand the range of opportunities in invitations to tender and be willing to challenge the norm.
• Hands on experience of leading technical aspects of work-winning bids in a timely manner, and will know ‘what good looks like' in bid submissions and work winning.
BAM Nuttall is focused on providing the highest professional standards in the civil engineering market, with emphasis on building strong, honest and long lasting relationships with satisfied customers. We have established an unrivalled reputation for delivering complex and challenging civil engineering projects that have played a significant role in shaping the infrastructure of modern Britain.
BAM Nuttall is committed to equality of opportunity in all its employment practices, and to developing policies that support work-life balance.