Highways Development Management (Development Control) Graduate Engineer
This is a full time vacancy but would be considered on a part time or flexible basis.
We are looking for a Graduate highway engineer to join us on our Client Support Term contract with Hertfordshire County Council. Working closely with County Council officers and housing developers, the role involves ensuring highway improvement works undertaken by developers are in line with the Council’s required design and legal standards.
- Review developers’ technical designs in accordance with approved design standards and procedures.
- Manage applications under the Highways Act Section 278 and Section 38 from start to finish, including managing budgets, reviewing designs, site monitoring and closing projects.
- Exercise engineering judgment
- Foresee risks and issues and escalate or resolve as appropriate
Key benefits of the role include:
- Interesting and varied work: you will be involved in a wide variety of projects from the design of large housing estates to the construction of new accesses - no two projects are alike.
- Responsibility and accountability: you will be the Project Engineer for the schemes assigned to you (with suitable support from Senior Engineers and other colleagues) and will have the responsibility for dealing with all aspects of the scheme. This includes undertaking site visits, meeting with developers, instructing and working with HCC’s Solicitors and collaborating with Opus colleagues across the UK.
- Gain an understanding of highway and planning law, including the Highways Act 1980 and the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
- Rewarding opportunity to be involved with development projects from the planning stage through to design and implementation. You will also have the opportunity to work with transport planning colleagues to providing highway input to planning applications and pre-application advice.
- The Development Management service at Hertfordshire County Council is constantly evolving due to changes in legislation and planning policy. As part of the team, you will have the opportunity to contribute to continued improvements and service developments.
- Opportunity to network with engineers and professionals across the industry as part of the job.
- Competitive salary, benefits package, flexible working and an enjoyable working environment.
To apply for the role you will need:
- A degree in civil engineering or similar
- Effective time management and good organizational skills, the ability to manage a varying workload.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to influence people at all levels.
This role is a fantastic opportunity for a Graduate engineer with highway design experience to further their experience in the highway sector and gain an understanding of planning and development from a highway authority perspective.
You couldn’t be looking to joining us at a better time, Opus is going from strength to strength in the UK and to top it all, we have been voted the Number One engineering consultancy in the UK! We were awarded Company of the Year at the NCE100 Awards 2016. The awarding of this accolade was based on key competencies which the NCE considered most valuable, with Opus ranked in the top 10 in each pillar during the assessment stage. This played a large part in Opus being named Company of the Year.
At Opus we attract and retain talented people through competitive remuneration and rewarding performance. We offer a flexible benefits programme via Opus – Flex that allows you to structure your remuneration package to suit your lifestyle. Further details on the benefits we offer can be found on the attachment at the foot of this page.
If you are keen to develop a long term career with a growing global organisation, please apply below or for more information on the career opportunities with Opus please click on the apply button:
Opus is committed to a workplace that embraces equal employment opportunity & diversity. We are dedicated to creating and sustaining a professional and respectful work environment which supports mutual trust and assists each individual to reach their full potential - we therefore welcome applications from those who want part-time hours or job share opportunities.