Civil / Structural Engineer (Water) - Warrington, UK
The principal function of this position is to develop and provide technological input to structural engineering works as part of CH2M’s Engineering & Design service. Particular focus will be on containment and flood defense related structures.
This position will involve liaising with regional and global design centers for the production of design deliverables using BIM appropriate software packages. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a practical applicable of structural engineering design to suit specific site requirements.
CH2M provide design and management services to clients in the water sector, and are currently involved in a number of interesting projects. This position will enable the successful candidate to contribute to the civil and structural design of major engineering structures commonly requiring the consideration of complex load conditions together with soil and or fluid interaction. It will also enable the development of appropriate skills to facilitate career progression within the company.
Key responsibilities of this role:
• The primary functions of this role will be the development and provision of technical and design related inputs on water retaining and flood defense structures, and other associated building structures together with the production of engineering design calculations using 2D/3D FE analysis and design software packages
• Assisting with the management of design related activities as directed by the team leader and lead engineers
• Interfacing with other team members and joint venture contractors on design related matters
• Liaising with client representatives, other discipline consultants and contractors working on various projects
• Undertaking site inspections and assessments of existing structures, including knowledge of associated H&S requirement
• Contributing, as required, to the preparation of bid submissions
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
• Applicants should possess a technical Bachelors or Master Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering and will have a detailed knowledge of the design and detailing of structures especially in concrete, and preferably with some experience in steel and masonry, for static and accidental load conditions
• You will be able to demonstrate a commitment to professional development, and be a Chartered Engineer or actively working towards obtaining chartered status with recognized institution for civil and/or structural engineering (ICE / IStrutE)
• An understanding of foundation design and how the interaction of the structure with the underlying soil strata effects the design of the structure
• Experience in designing to Eurocodes and other appropriate design standards and specifications
• A good understanding of structural analysis using industry standard software with linear elastic techniques
• An ability and willingness to work in multi-disciplinary team environment
• Good commercial awareness with an understanding of contractual issues
• A knowledge of the following would be beneficial: design of embedded retaining walls, extreme environment load derivation; soil structure interaction and foundation design; fluid structure interaction; construction processes and management; BIM; H&S requirements and designers risk assessments
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Our Culture: Safety & health conscious, flexible working conditions, collaborative & friendly with regular social activities. We’re full of initiatives for creating a diverse and interesting place for professionals to work, as well as individuals wanting to advance their career. We support and encourage our people to go through their professional qualifications. To get ahead we also have our JUMP network for aspiring junior to mid-level CH2Mers.
The CH2M Foundation is renowned for supporting and helping to nurture sustainable communities. We partner ‘Engineers without Borders’, ‘Water for People’ and ‘Bridges to Prosperity’. We’re STEM ambassadors. We promote WISE (Women in Science & Engineering), we also have our own women’s engineering network to promote equality in our industry.
Take a look around our site to see some of the iconic projects we are involved in all around the world! Soon you could be part of award winning CH2M.
Developing People through Challenging Projects. CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This role is only open to applicants able to accept local employment contract conditions and not expatriate employment terms. Please note that this role is only considering applications with valid working rights for the UK, CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position.