Geotechnical Assistant Engineer
We have an immediate vacancy for an enthusiastic and dynamic Assistant Geotechnical Engineer to join the established team based in our Reading office. The candidate should ideally have between 3 and 6 years post graduate experience in the geotechnical/geoenvironmental industry. We are also looking to recruit for other locations in the UK.
Peter Brett Associates LLP (PBA) is a leading development and infrastructure consultancy. We provide trusted advice to create value from land and buildings owned or operate by our clients. Together, we create better places for the communities in which we work.
Peter Brett Associates LLP provides significant opportunity for career progression and personal development through the delivery of high value quality services to influential clients. The people at PBA are our most important asset. Creating a friendly and supportive environment for our employees where they can attain their personal career goals is a key aim of the Partners.
The successful candidate will be involved in a wide range of geotechnical and geo-environmental projects from single discipline due diligence and emergency stabilisation works through to large multi-disciplinary land development sites as part of planning, site acquisition and construction.
Key responsibilities and duties will include:
- Phase 1 Ground Condition Assessment Reports (land instability and contaminated land) desk studies including qualitative risk assessment
- Ground investigation procurement, specification, supervision, management and interpretative reporting
- Field sampling and monitoring of land gas, ground and surface waters
- Liaison with in-house and external clients on a wide variety of projects
- Supervising and monitoring earthworks, construction and/or stabilisation projects
- Geotechnical and geo-environmental data assessment, analysis and reporting
Capabilities and Qualifications:
The successful individual will have a degree in either Geotechnics, Geology, Civil Engineering with modules in Soil Mechanics or Environmental Science with Geology and Maths modules.
The candidate will require:
- A strong understanding of geotechnical principles including earthworks, foundation design, settlement and slope stability
- Soil and rock logging
- Knowledge of soil laboratory methods and scheduling
- Knowledge and interest of contaminated land and remediation
- Computer literacy in MS Office suite and ideally Holebase, settlement and slope stability analysis software
- Enthusiastic team player willing to undertake site as well as office based work
- Keen to learn and expand their experience
- Good communication skills are essential in order to liaise with a broad range of stakeholders. Ideally the candidate is working towards Chartership of at least one professional institution. Training forms an important part of our staff progression and candidates must be willing to take on new challenges.
The following would also be advantageous but not essential as overall experience, skills, drive and enthusiasm are more important.
- A master’s degree in geotechnical engineering, contaminated land, environmental management, or equivalent.
- Experience of quantitive risk assessment methods/software
- Experience of Haswaste on line.
- Experience of Materials Management Plans and the CL:AIRE Waste code of Practise
We offer a competitive salary and flexible benefits package, which includes contributory pension plan, discretionary bonus scheme and flexible benefits allowance.
Peter Brett Associates LLP (PBA) is a leading consultancy delivering development and infrastructure projects. We provide trusted advice to our clients and together we create better places for the communities in which we live.
PBA provides significant opportunity for career progression and personal development through the delivery of high value quality services to influential clients. It's a friendly and supportive environment for our employees where they can attain their personal career goals.
To find out more about PBA and see the range of exciting projects we are involved in please visit http://www.peterbrett.com/.
PBA is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunities.