Principal Highways Engineer / Highways Design Manager – Bristol
At CH2M, we are dedicated to tackling our clients’ toughest portfolio, programme and project challenges in order to achieve successful outcomes. We are a family of people excited to solve complex challenges that have a positive impact on the world and we are always looking for like-minded people to join the CH2M family.
We are seeking a Principal Engineer to operate as Highways Design Manager within our State and Local client sector. Due to continued growth of both our portfolio and demand for our services, we are looking for someone that can lead a project team across all disciplines; taking on responsibility for the successful delivery of highway infrastructure and maintenance projects. In addition to managing our workload and leading our project / design teams, developing our relationships with new and existing clients is a key part of the role.
Our exceptionally talented Highways Teams are committed to delivering major highway schemes for National Agencies and Contractors both in the UK and internationally. Our clients include: Highways England, Welsh Government, local authorities including East Sussex CC, Bristol CC, Worcestershire CC, as well as a number of design and build contractors.
We work on a wide range of projects such as: scheme development, preliminary and detailed design, and construction. Well known examples of our work include the M4 Smart Motorway Programme, A465 Heads of the Valley, A14 and MetroBus.
Our goal is to support our clients in realising their highway related projects through a fully integrated approach to project delivery and drawing on the services of all disciplines from locations throughout the region.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced highways professional looking to take the next step in their career to work on some of the most interesting and challenging highway projects, working and leading great people in one of the leading and rapidly growing client sectors of our business.
Role and Responsibilities
Working under the direction and mentorship of the assigned Project Manager(s) and Regional Technical Lead(s), specific duties include:
• Co-operation with commercial manager and technical team
• Technical proficiency in the detailed design and specification of highway engineering works
• Use knowledge of established project delivery processes to meet the scope, schedule, budget and other specified requirements stated in the contract
• Undertake the role of project manager to deliver multi-disciplinary schemes where required
• Manage other disciplines in a multidisciplinary fashion where required to deliver highway and/or structure schemes
• To engender an ethos of quality and process driven delivery of projects within a team
• Take full account of health, safety and environment in all project phases
• Liaison with clients and stakeholders, supporting, shaping and working collaboratively
• Completion of scopes of work to the satisfaction of the client, while simultaneously ensuring that CH2M’s HS&E, quality, financial, risk management, business and policy expectations are met
• Continuing professional development of self and colleagues to further enhance capability, often mentoring of graduate engineers in design practices
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
• We want to hear from client-centric individuals, particularly those with a background in major Highways schemes and/or local authority projects
• Proven track record of delivery of highway infrastructure projects and an ability to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team
• Experience of undertaking client facing roles and an ability to develop and maintain client relationships
• A sound knowledge of engineering design principles with a comprehensive understanding of the DMRB and MCHW
• An understanding of health and safety issues in relation to the design and construction of civil engineering works
• Fully conversant in all Microsoft Office software particularly MS Excel/Word
• Proven experience of managing packages and projects meeting deadlines and budgets
• Desire to mentor and coach those around you to ensure project delivery and advance the technical abilities of self and others
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to communicate technical concepts within the team and to the client
• Excellent and demonstrable organisational and time management skills
• Highly motivated and proactive individuals with a ‘can do’ attitude and leadership skills
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
• Degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering or other relevant engineering discipline
• Likely chartered engineer (preferred, not essential)
Our Culture: Safety & health conscious, flexible working conditions, collaborative & friendly with regular social activities. We’re full of initiatives for creating a diverse and interesting place for professionals to work, as well as individuals wanting to advance their career. We support and encourage our people to go through their professional qualifications. To get ahead we also have our JUMP network for aspiring junior to mid-level CH2Mers.
The CH2M Foundation is renowned for supporting and helping to nurture sustainable communities. We partner ‘Engineers without Borders’, ‘Water for People’ and ‘Bridges to Prosperity’. We’re STEM ambassadors. We promote WISE (Women in Science & Engineering), we also have our own women’s engineering network to promote equality in our industry.
Take a look around our site to see some of the iconic projects we are involved in all around the world! Soon you could be part of award winning CH2M.
Developing People through Challenging Projects. CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This role is only open to applicants able to accept local employment contract conditions and not expatriate employment terms. Please note that this role is only considering applications with valid working rights for the UK, CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position.