Technical Bridge Director - Glasgow, UK
CH2M as a global multi-disciplinary company, holds an enviable reputation for delivering prestigious and challenging bridge projects in the UK and worldwide.
An opportunity within our Regional Design Centre in Glasgow, has arisen for a Technical Director to join our busy and growing team of talented bridge engineers. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on high profile projects including, international bridges, design and build schemes, long span crossings, architecturally driven bridge designs located in the UK, Ireland, Europe and overseas.
With a current client portfolio, including Transport Scotland, Highways England, Local Authorities, Bridge and Civil Engineering Contractors and International Governments, we regularly undertake the feasibility development, design and supervision of civil engineering and transport solutions which, over the years, has exceeded our client’s requirements and expectations.
Our Glasgow team covers a wide range of skills including scheme development, preliminary and detailed design, advanced structural analysis, independent Cat III checking, bridge assessment, independent checking of erection schemes for major long span bridges, procurement, project management and construction supervision. Our team also supports all our sectors and regions on bids and the delivery of high profile projects.
We therefore seek a commercially aware and technically competent Technical Director with proven experience on Bridges and Civil Structures to take up a key position in Glasgow.
• Technical development and leadership of bridge engineering teams
• Delivery of projects to quality, programme and budget: promoting a right first time approach
• Ensure Health & Safety awareness in all aspects of design and operations
• Building strong relationships with other CH2M offices and external client organisations
• Supporting recruitment – working to attract engineers to the team
• Mentoring of colleagues, career building, self and others; skill set enhancement
• Maintaining up-to-date with technical and legislative developments in standards
• Undertaking technical reviews
• Deliver the team’s extensive portfolio of projects
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
Academic Qualifications (Minimum):
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering
• Preferably educated to MSc level or equivalent in bridge/structural engineering
• Chartered: CEng, MICE or MIStructE, or equivalent
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
• Extensive post Chartered experience in conceptual development, structural design and assessment of bridges
• Experience in the design of steel bridges, steel cable stayed and suspension bridges
• A sound working knowledge of bridge and structural engineering codes and standards
• Leadership of bridge engineering teams from concept, feasibility through to construction, including design and build projects
• Experience of client facing roles in transportation projects
• Successful working with multi-disciplinary teams to deliver bridge and transportation projects
• Technical leadership and excellence
• Lateral thinker and solutions orientated approach
• Team Player and Team Builder: good communicator
• Strong internal and external relationship building
• Strong commercial and programme delivery
• Fluency in spoken and written English
• Design and analysis of concrete and post tensioned concrete bridges and extradosed structures
• Design of composite steel concrete bridges including integral bridges
• Design of moving bridges
• Innovative design
• Finite element modelling and analysis of bridge structures including buckling and dynamic analysis
• Design of dynamic mitigation measures
• Bridge aerodynamics
• Delivery of quality designs to programme and budget
Our Culture: Safety & health conscious, flexible working conditions, collaborative & friendly with regular social activities. We’re full of initiatives for creating a diverse and interesting place for professionals to work, as well as individuals wanting to advance their career. We support and encourage our people to go through their professional qualifications. To get ahead we also have our JUMP network for aspiring junior to mid-level CH2Mers.
The CH2M Foundation is renowned for supporting and helping to nurture sustainable communities. We partner ‘Engineers without Borders’, ‘Water for People’ and ‘Bridges to Prosperity’. We’re STEM ambassadors. We promote WISE (Women in Science & Engineering), we also have our own women’s engineering network to promote equality in our industry.
Take a look around our site to see some of the iconic projects we are involved in all around the world! Soon you could be part of award winning CH2M.
Developing People through Challenging Projects. CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This role is only open to applicants able to accept local employment contract conditions and not expatriate employment terms. Please note that this role is only considering applications with valid working rights for the UK, CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position.