Ecologist (HS2) - Birmingham, UK
CH2M is a global leader in consulting, design and programme management. We love to tackle complex challenges, and we know that our best solutions come out of close, trusted partnerships with our clients and the communities we touch.
Be a part of something Special: Every professional aspires to be part of something special, to innovate and to change the world for the better; leaving their ideas and visions imprinted in the landscape for future generations to wonder ‘how’ as they marvel at the scale & complexity in front of them.
Here at CH2M we are fortunate to work towards this every day, enhancing the lives of the communities around us and greatly improving infrastructure for business and the economy to compete and thrive.
Our Birmingham team have exciting opportunities across our portfolio including: High Speed 2, Programme Delivery Partner for Highways England, SMART/Major Motorways, Network Rail, Local Authority frameworks, Flood/Environmental frameworks and Major Ground Investigations.
The Role: We are looking for an Ecologist to be based either in HS2’s Snowhill (Birmingham) or CH2Ms Birmingham office to work as part of an ecology team delivering a range of work on our HS2 Phase 1 EDP programme to ensure that the project designs and construction continue to meet the environmental minimum requirements.
• Organising, implementing and reporting on ecological surveys
• Leading on ecological impact assessment and mitigation design
• Providing ecological supervision of construction work
• Providing advice, report review and quality control for ecological inputs to a range of projects
• Organising, auditing and supervising third parties providing the above services
• Provision of baseline information and detailed desktop ecological appraisals
• Phase 1 and other habitat surveys
• Protected species surveys and license applications
• Ecological mapping and reporting
• Review and audit of ecological impact assessment reports
• Environmental Clerk of Works roles or similar supervisory roles when required
• Advise clients/contractors on ecological issues including giving short talks
• Consultation with contractors (design and construction) landowners, ecological bodies and other stakeholders
The Opportunity: CH2M are appointed as partners for nationally significant infrastructure projects where we work as an integrated team alongside our clients managing engineering and other professional services companies to deliver exciting schemes on time and within budget. Once in a lifetime opportunities to help deliver on world class projects.
There may be further opportunity to support a range of other infrastructure projects being delivered from our Birmingham Office including flood risk management schemes (Environment Agency), Smart Motorway and other highway schemes (Highways England), as well as local transport schemes.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Ecology or a related subject within environmental sciences with a strong Ecology background (or equivalent)
• Experience of field ecology, survey techniques and of carrying out surveys as part of infrastructure design or construction
• Experience of consulting with stakeholders (Natural England and others) and advising clients on the ecological requirements of their projects
• Experience of organizing surveys and consulting with land owners regarding access for surveys
• Knowledge of UK environmental /ecological policy and legislation
• Thorough understanding of ecological impact assessment methods and reporting
• CSCS card or evidence of similar H&S training or accreditation is desirable as is understanding of working safely on surveys and construction sites
• CIEEM or similar Chartership (or in progress)
• Full UK driving license (essential)
This role is only open to applicants able to accept local employment contract conditions and not expatriate employment terms. Please note that this role is only considering applications with valid working rights for the UK. CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position.
Learn more about our collaborative, friendly culture and the ways in which we’re driven to support diversity through multiple networks and initiatives. We support and encourage every employee’s professional growth and provide flexible working conditions where appropriate. We’re full of initiatives for creating a diverse and interesting place for professionals to work, as well as advance their career.
CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.