Senior Design Engineer (Bridges)
We are looking for a Senior Design Engineer to join our highways team in Oxford.
The Oxfordshire Highways contract is an integrated contract delivering a range of capital major projects and capital maintenance programmes in partnership with Oxfordshire County Council. The Senior Design Engineer will play a key role in a small team of engineers and technicians to develop and deliver highway and transport infrastructure projects to agreed budgets and programmes.
The Oxfordshire business has been in operation since 2010 and currently runs to 2023, with further extensions possible if Skanska continues to perform to a high level. To achieve the growth and economic aspirations set by Oxfordshire County Council, there is an exciting and ambitious capital investment programme to tackle congestion and improve access to businesses and housing. Therefore we are seeking to recruit design staff at various levels to expand the Oxford office. The position is based in our co-located office in County Hall, in the centre of the vibrant and diverse city of Oxford, with excellent public transport links.
- Ensure a consistent quality of approach to the design and implementation of highway and transport schemes, ensuring compliance with Skanska and contract Integrated Management System processes
- Work closely with project management and other local team to deliver a variety of highway and transport schemes in an efficient and cost effective manner, within budget and to programme
- Ensure that relevant standards are adopted in accordance with nationally applied criteria and sound engineering practice, to deliver appropriate solutions which offer best value
- Remain up to date with legislation and best practice and ensure that relevant initiatives and innovations are adopted, to develop the effective design solutions
- Prepare and review accurate and concise technical reports, appraisals and justifications and ensure that all correspondence is dealt with within agreed timescales
- Lead successful stakeholder consultation events/public exhibitions for your projects and liaison with stakeholders at all stages of project delivery
We're looking for:
- Good communication and reporting skills, working at all levels and able to communicate complex issues in a clear and understandable way
- Ability to lead professional teams and co-ordinate delivery of complex multi-disciplinary work packages
- Good attention to detail and reviewing skills to ensure the required level of quality of deliverables is prepared by the design team
- Strong customer focus and able to meet customer expectations alongside Skanska's standards, requirements and objectives
- Good organisational and prioritisation skills
- Performance focussed
- Willingness to challenge tried and tested methods to deliver innovative, fit-for-purpose and cost effective solutions
Our infrastructure services team delivers projects that maintain and enhance the built environment. Part of that is our work to operate, maintain and improve large parts of the UK road network. Whether you're involved in frontline operational work, design, project management or office-based services, every day you'll be helping to improve the lives of millions of people.
A career with us means you'll have the freedom to develop your skills and leave your mark on the communities in which we work. Our competitive benefits package will help to enhance your life outside work, too.