Principal Mechanical Engineer
Rendel is a growing specialist civil and structural engineering consultancy, with a strong tradition of bringing our expertise to prestigious and technically-challenging projects around the world.
Our London team is currently working on the design of major infrastructure schemes including the HS2 C1 Chiltern Tunnels and Colne Valley Viaduct, Hinkley Power Station, Eurotunnel UK Terminal and Al Zour Refinery in Kuwait.
Our mechanical and electrical engineering team has an opportunity to provide support to infrastructure and non-infrastructure projects covering transport systems (roads, bridges & tunnels), airports, ports & maritime (MEP support systems), rail systems, power generation and industrial processing.
We want to hear from you if you would like to join a diverse, friendly and resourceful team and work on interesting and challenging design projects in the UK and internationally. We are based in a vibrant quarter of central London. You will be expected to:
- Undertake fee earning assignments in the UK and internationally
- Take a leading technical role as part of the delivery team covering outline and detailed designs; e.g. calculations, drawings, sketches, reports, to achieve the optimum solution
- Undertake and check the delivery of the design solution and outputs
- Assist the Project Manager in clarifying the project brief, agree deliverables, key milestones, project methodology, quality assurance and control strategy
- Assess, document and communicate design changes to the Project Manager
- Undertake significant elements of the detailed design and the checking of outputs as directed
- Provide technical guidance, support, training and mentoring to colleagues
The ideal candidate will have a desire to work in a consultancy environment on large infrastructure projects. You will be a Chartered Engineer with the following experience and knowledge:
- Mechanical components of infrastructure and non-infrastructure works, and knowledge of PPI/PFI projects
- Infrastructure design and an understanding of the basics and the integration of multidisciplinary elements including mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, controls and automation processes
- Appropriate experience in design, contract and tender preparation, tender assessment, and contract administration
- Good knowledge of relevant national and international industry standards
- Awareness of forms of contract, construction methodologies and civil engineering procedures
- Competent in relevant bespoke software packages
Full details of this role can be found on our website