Bedford, Birmingham or Guildford
Salary: £33,340 - £36,674
Highways England are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England’s motorways and major A roads. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased, this has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done. Considering that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It’s an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which is why we’re so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. At the same time, we’ll improve how we work. That means we will be able to; plan roadworks better to minimise disruption; clear incidents more quickly; and save more than £1 billion by working more efficiently. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website: www.highwaysengland.co.uk
Highways England is recruiting a Technical Advisor with the flexibility to be based in Bedford, Birmingham or Guildford. You will be a member of our structures team in the Safety Engineering and Standards Directorate, supporting delivery of Highways England’s structures investment and improvement programme. Your decisions and technical knowledge will ensure the safe day to day and strategic operation of our structures for our staff, supply chain and the public. We encourage career development and will help you achieve further qualifications to suit the role.
Day to Day
- Responsible for the running of the Structures Management Information System (SMIS).
- Provide information on structures across the Strategic Road Network (SRN) to staff and contractors.
- Support ongoing programmes of work across the Business.
- Ensure compliance with technical manuals and procedures.
- Provide training to others on the use of SMIS.
- Data audits and improvements.
- Civil or Structural Engineering qualification (eg IEng or EngTech) or relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of inspection and management of highway structures.
- Ability to discuss technical issues confidently with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrable experience of keeping and providing accurate information.
- Experience of managing internal and external stakeholders in a project environment.
- Ability to manage and prioritise your tasks to tight deadlines.
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application. You’re also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
All candidates will be required to provide valid proof of Right to Work in the UK and ID at interview.
We’re expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible
Help keep England moving. We look forward to hearing from you.
Closing date: 11 September 2018.
Manton Industrial Estate, Manton Ln, Bedford MK41 7LW
Quinton Business Park, 3 Ridgeway, Quinton, Birmingham B32 1AF
Bridge House, 1 Walnut Tree Cl, Guildford GU1 4LZ