Head of Signalling and Telecoms
Head of Signalling and Telecoms
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
You will be responsible for setting strategies for the Signalling & Telecoms network and providing leadership to the department managers for Health & Safety, maintenance, finance, planning projects and Human Resources. Travel will be required within this role.
The following reflects typical duties and is not intended to be a comprehensive description of all tasks:
- As Professional Head of Signalling & Telecoms, set appropriate and comprehensive standards for the safe design, installation, testing, maintenance and inspection of the Signalling & Telecom infrastructure.
- Ensure effective procedures and controls are in place that enable the management of health, safety, environment and the welfare of all staff within the Signalling & Telecoms department.
- Accountable for the preparation and implementation of a Signalling & Telecoms maintenance plan that ensures the assets are maintained to appropriate safety/quality standards and cost effectively.
- Prepare and deliver an Annual Safety Plan for the Signalling & Telecoms department.
- Accountable for the preparation of a departmental budget and ensuring that adequate controls are in place to manage spend within the agreed budgets.
- Set and monitor the performance standards for staff and ensure that their training and development needs are met, with competencies being continually assessed.
- Accountable for the preparation and delivery of a Signalling & Telecoms capital works plan and programme in accordance with agreed safety targets, cost, quality and time.
- Produce and monitor an effective set of Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) for the Signalling & Telecoms department that align with Corporate KPI’s.
- Carry out an annual programme of audits of Signalling & Telecoms department procedures and processes.
- Implement sufficient controls to ensure that all contractors and designers working on the company’s Signalling & Telecoms assets are competent and undertake their duties safely.
- Keep up to date asset register of all Signalling & Telecoms assets. Support achievement of ISO55000 Asset Management accreditation by the Infrastructure & Projects Directorate. The Signalling & Telecoms asset management strategy is to be formulated by this role.
- Ensure individual employees and collective IR/HR issues are addressed and managed in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Develop managers and engineers to realise their potential, career progressing and future succession planning.
- Engage with conciliation staff through communication to develop team working, motivation, self development and their key role in contributing to the business.
- Represent the company at professional level to external bodies and stakeholders with regards to the management of the Signalling & Telecoms Infrastructure.
- Ensure appropriate consideration is given to the organisations equality duties as well as specific commitments associated with your job role
- Minimum of degree or equivalent in Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Possess Chartered status with a relevant professional institution (e.g. IET) or be willing to obtain chartered status within a defined timeframe
- Minimum of 5 years post graduate experience in the design, maintenance and construction of Electrical/Electronic systems in a railway environment
- Experience of managing Safety, Health & Environment in a safety critical railway environment
- Experience of setting and managing budgets
- Experience managing people, dealing with Industrial Relations in a Unionised environment and experience applying Human Resource guidelines/policies
- Experience of project managing and delivering engineering projects
- Full current driving licence
External applicants for management positions will be required to provide copies of their qualifications at interview if shortlisted.