Assistant Asset Engineer
Assistant Asset Engineer x 2 roles Birmingham - Baskerville House
£33,000 - £38,000 per annum
London North Western (LNW) is the largest of Network Rail’s route businesses, and our infrastructure runs from London Euston and Marylebone in the South through the Chiltern and West Midlands regions, the North West of England and Cumbria before joining with Scotland at Gretna.
The Structures Route Asset Management Team is fundamental in maintaining the safety and integrity of all the structural assets, from small culverts to multi span viaducts and numerous tunnels. As well as keeping the network running safely day to day, we are also focused on the need to build a bigger, better railway. Major railway upgrade schemes on LNW include HS2 and East West Rail. Between 2019 and 2024 we also have a £5.3bn plan for vital maintenance, asset renewals and operations.
The role of the Assistant Asset Engineer is to support the application of the structures asset management processes in accordance with functional policy to achieve financial and output targets
- Schedule examinations, inspections, monitoring and assessment of structures assets and the evaluation of the reports. Implement mitigation measures where appropriate.
- Specify and prioritise actions to address defects, comments and other issues raised in the reports for inclusion in work plans. Oversee the development, implementation and handover of prioritised work items. Produce route specific and asset type management regimes, and progress mitigations if items are deferred.
- Undertake engineering analysis and risk assessments of assets or asset components to support the asset management process and scheme development, including business cases and whole life cost analysis.
- Monitor and evaluate asset condition and capability trend data, and failure precursors to inform examination, maintenance, strengthening, risk mitigation and renewal plans.
- Provide support to the specification and development of enhancement schemes and manage the interface with network capability programmes.
- Maintain structures asset data and information within the company systems and processes.
- Provide engineering support and participate in investigations of incidents relating to structures.
- Assist with the review of proposals from other disciplines or external organisations that could impact on the route structures assets and/or programmes of work to identify potential synergies or conflicts.
- Monitor the technical development of projects, ascertaining that renewal requirements are sufficient, correctly interpreted and any changes are agreed. Assist with the approval in principle of designs and support acceptance of detailed design certification.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- HNC/HND or equivalent qualification in civil or structures engineering
- Significant experience in civil or structures engineering
- Incorporated Engineer
- Knowledge of structures
- An understanding of safety management systems and risk assessment techniques
To apply, please go to our Network Rail Careers page and search by the reference number of the vacancy under Keywords: IRC2125297
Closing date: 21st of December 2018, late applications will not be accepted. We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes.