Section Lead - Rail
We at Arcadis are recruiting for a Section Lead to join our Rail Business based in Birmingham.
As a Section lead you will lead technical coordination of multi discipline designs at a Section Level, particularly focussing on interfaces between engineering disciplines. You will be responsible for the delivery of technically compliant and fully integrated designs and managing the technical impacts of project change.
At Arcadis, we never lose sight of what’s most important. Because look beyond our projects and programmes and you’ll see it’s about human stories. From remaking public spaces that bring people together, to making cities easier to navigate, we’re focused on making an impact where it matters most – and improving quality of life.
It’s a big challenge. And why we need people committed to bringing their best, who deliver on their promises. People who value different perspectives, build sustainable relationships and dare to shape the future. People who seize the experiences available to transform their world – and the world around them.
It’s a shared goal amongst 27,000 Arcadians. And one we can only achieve by working together and applying our skills and expertise across design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services. It’s how we’ll find solutions to our clients’ most complex challenges. And how we’ll deliver exceptional results, today and tomorrow.
Working Relationships & Contacts
- Operational Teams - following an engineering management framework to communicate technical requirements to design teams and to coordinate their work within multi-discipline teams.
- Lead Engineers - ensuring that the technical requirements for individual disciplines can be met by the DJV delivery teams.
- Other Package Managers - integrating designs across section and package boundaries
- Project Manager – supporting the Project Manager to manage the integration of cost control and programme adherence into delivery.
- Health and Safety Manager - work to ensure that health and safety is a golden thread that runs through the design outputs.
- BIM Manager - working with BIM community to ensure presentation of designs within the BIM environment in accordance with Client requirements.
- Requirements Manager - ensuring that designs are in accordance with all Requirements and that evidence is provided as part of V&V.
- IDMT - Providing a controlled conduit for IDMT support and input to the design and construction process
- perform a safety leadership role for the DJV and role model values of the DJV
- champion the preparation of designs that are safe and healthy.
- communicate technical requirements to individual design teams. Identify interfaces across engineering disciplines.
- communicate with team members to ensure that they understand, and become engaged with the Project delivery methodology
- coach and mentor engineering professionals to support the development of the DJV talent pool and help our people to realise their potential.
- maintain metrics around technical quality of individuals and teams within the section from involvement in projects and technical reviews. Implement improvement plans.
- resolve technical interface issues which have a potentially damaging effect on the wider team relationships.
- support the management of risk on the project by participating in inter-discipline reviews and close out review findings.
- identify change and evaluate the consequences.
- work with the Quality Assurance manager to respond to identified issues in compliance with project processes.
- support Lead Engineers in all relevant disciplines to ensure that DJV teams are kept abreast of changes in standards.
Knowledge & Experience:
- can exercise responsibilities in an ethical manner.
- are able to provide input to estimates for the engineering budget and schedule and to oversee technical resources to meet requirements.
- are able to plan and manage tasks to time, budget and quality.
- can communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with people at all levels, across the project organisation and externally with demonstrated ability to prepare project reports.
- have good interpersonal skills with the ability to build effective working relationships with people at all levels across the project organisation and externally.
- can lead continuous improvement in "Safe by Design". Able to articulate compelling narrative around "Safe by Design"
- understand how to manage health, safety and welfare within own area of responsibility. Including awareness of safety issues in an operating railway environment.
- have extensive knowledge of legislation, hazards and safe systems of work.
- are experienced in leading and working with, people from varied discipline, backgrounds and cultures.
- are experienced at working with Project Technical Governance and Assurance processes.
- are comfortable managing delivery in a matrix organisation structure.
- have delivered design in a D&B environment.
- are knowledgeable about risk management processes.
- understand Systems Engineering processes, requirements, interfaces, Engineering Safety, RAM, EMC, Human Factors as part of the approach to project assurance and are able to work with System Engineers.
- have a sound knowledge of sustainable development best practice and routinely deliver sustainable technical solutions.
- must be able to lead engineering activities that contribute to sustainable development.
At Arcadis, you’ll have the opportunity to build the career that’s right for you. Because each Arcadian has their own motivations, their own career goals. And, as a ‘people ﬁrst’ business, it’s why we’ll take the time to listen, to understand what you want from your time here, and provide the support you need to achieve your ambitions.
Wherever you join us, you can look forward to a competitive reward package that includes an attractive starting salary, opportunities for career development and being part of a sociable community. We have a performance-related bonus scheme and an employee recognition scheme.
Other beneﬁts include membership fees to join your relevant professional body, employer contribution pension scheme, ﬂexible working and a flexible holiday scheme.
We believe that by working together diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life and we work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success.
Apply for Section Lead - Rail
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly