We are looking to recruit highway engineers in to our engineering practice to work on multi-disciplinary engineering projects. The work will include undertaking design of highway infrastructure projects. Entry level engineers will initially work under the supervision of experienced engineers but rapidly taking on more responsibilities. More experienced engineers will be expected to take the lead for discreet packages of work that input into projects – leading to technical leadership. In addition to office-based design there will be a requirement to undertake site surveys and liaise with other disciplines and clients. Successful candidates will soon develop a detailed knowledge of highways and associated infrastructure and how different engineering and non-engineering disciplines work together to create the whole system in a safety critical environment.
We are recruiting across a broad range of roles within the business including: Geometric Design, Drainage Design, Traffic Signal Design etc. Whilst you may have a particular interest in a highways sub-discipline, you will be encouraged to broaden your knowledge and expertise as a part of your structured career development.
You will have the opportunity to be involved in:
- Integrating with and supporting a team of design engineers who undertake highways engineering design
- Undertaking site surveys and the preparation of design specifications to company and highway authority standards
- Preparing design deliverable packages for professional submission including drawings, calculations and reports.
- Safety and technical assurance including participation in hazard workshops and risk assessments
- Client engagement activities from the outset
- Costing, estimating, planning, management and implementing works
- The drive and self-motivation to achieve or have achieved professional registration with a professional body and to continuously develop your technical & behavioural skills
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions
- Able to work and communicate effectively within multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Flexible approach to work
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgements
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience of the use of appropriate standards
- Experience in appropriate industry software
WORKING AT ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin group.
Join a business that works on high-profile projects with forward-thinking clients. We are a diverse mix of people from all backgrounds and life-stages – from fresh apprentices and graduates, right up to long-serving employees with invaluable knowledge. With a truly multi-disciplinary and collaborative approach, you’ll discover an energetic environment where you can rise to your next challenge.
With a goal to be a truly inclusive employer, we’re pursuing improvements for all underrepresented groups and promoting a more inclusive culture for everyone in the Atkins family. We’ve also signed the Time to Change, pledging to smash the stigma around mental health by talking about it and guiding behaviour across all levels of our business.
We’re already an industry leader when it comes to supporting employees with out-of-work commitments, like parents, athletes and reservists.
• Great flexible working choices
• Option to buy up to 15 days extra holiday a year
• Two volunteer days a year to undertake charity/STEM activities
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.