Principal Electrical Engineer
We are currently recruiting for a Principal Electrical Engineer to join the Rail M&E Systems design team to assist with the delivery of current key projects. The electrical team undertakes all aspects of LV electrical distribution associated with the railway infrastructure including building services for stations and depots and trackside schemes including signalling power supplies, points heating and level crossings.
The role involves managing and leading the electrical design for the project assigned and supporting the engineering management team. The nature of the role will require occasional travel / working from other Atkins and client site locations in the UK.
- Carry out the role of Contractors Responsible Engineer in accordance with NR/L2/INI/02009;
- Undertake design and supervision of a variety of electrical design elements i.e. LV Distribution, Earthing & Bonding, Lighting, Cable Management system, Building power designs, points heating and signal power scheme designs;
- Liaison with clients, developing and maintaining customer relationships;
- Present design solutions in meeting with clients and contractors;
- Able to check and review electrical designs deliverables prepared within own team and other groups within area of expertise;
- Lead the design process and encourage the rest of the team to deliver appropriate and cost effective solutions to the agreed programme;
- Undertake trackside and other railway infrastructure site visits / non-intrusive surveys as required as part of the design activities or as part of site support.
- Manage own workload and workload of other design team members within the assigned team.
- Promote and improve inter-discipline working with other disciplines such as Permanent Way, Civils, Signalling and Telecoms
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience of the use of BS7671;
- Previous rail industry experience and appropriate qualifications
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Wider knowledge of other disciplines, highly desirable;
- Stakeholder management skills and a can do attitude, particularly including client engagement
- Experience of managing multidisciplinary projects and knowledge of rail design assurance processes essential;
WORKING AT ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin group.
Join a business that works on high-profile projects with forward-thinking clients. We are a diverse mix of people from all backgrounds and life-stages – from fresh apprentices and graduates, right up to long-serving employees with invaluable knowledge. With a truly multi-disciplinary and collaborative approach, you’ll discover an energetic environment where you can rise to your next challenge.
With a goal to be a truly inclusive employer, we’re pursuing improvements for all underrepresented groups and promoting a more inclusive culture for everyone in the Atkins family. We’ve also signed the Time to Change, pledging to smash the stigma around mental health by talking about it and guiding behaviour across all levels of our business.
We’re already an industry leader when it comes to supporting employees with out-of-work commitments, like parents, athletes and reservists.
• Great flexible working choices
• Option to buy up to 15 days extra holiday a year
• Two volunteer days a year to undertake charity/STEM activities
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Atkins, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.