Building the present, creating the future
BAM Construction is recruiting a Design Manager to be based at our Gateshead office, with travel required to sites across the North East region.
With a proven record of managing all design aspects of a project from tender through to completion, you will be expected to work effectively as an integral member of the bid and construction delivery team, following the values of; Proactive ownership, Open Collaboration, Scalable learning and Predictable performance.
Demonstrating design leadership qualities to encourage effective design team and construction team co-ordination and collaborative working to meet the Project goals • The Successful applicant will be required to work on one Large project or multiple projects across the region.
• Embracing Digital Construction to enable a digital build-before-we build team approach
• Understanding the project requirements including Client brief & business processes, and Employer Requirements
• Identifying, managing and mitigating design risk as part of the team
• Identifying opportunities to improve the design by considering how to improve safety, incorporate buildability, improve quality, reduce defects, and provide best value compliant solutions
• Working with the tender team to develop the Contractor's Proposals document
• Reporting to the Project Manager or Regional Design Manager, take responsibility for the management of the design through preconstruction and construction stages in line with company procedures; including managing the design development process and the interface with specialist sub-contract design
• Ensuring design is developed in line with the most commercially advantageous position whilst meeting strategic objectives and contract requirements
• Preparing and reach agreement to the Design Management Plan and BIM Execution Plan
• Be aware of / provide input into, designer appointment / novation; roles and responsibilities (including a Design Interface Responsibility Matrix), scope of services, fee and fee drawdown, TIDP and monitor performance against these
• In conjunction with the Project team, develop and reach agreement on the design programme and Information deliverables, ensuring this is fully co-ordinated with the project procurement and construction programmes. Pro-actively manage RFI's
• Review safety risks checking they are identified, eliminated, reduced or controlled in line with CDM requirements. Ensure designers are carrying out their duties, and where required, support the role of Principal Designer in line with CDM 2015
• Co-ordinating the whole design process, managing change, and working closely with the client, employer's representatives, design team and legislative bodies
• Organising and chairing design co-ordination and design progress meetings with the design team and sub-contractors and ensuring that design risk assessments are produced. Prepare minutes, notes and reports as required to ensure effective communication and accurate records are maintained
• Managing the document control process.
• Maintaining a professional approach with clients and their professional teams, sub-contractors and suppliers
Who are we looking for?
• Strong leadership and management skills, with a "can-do" and collaborative approach
• Enthusiastic team player, able to listen, understand, engage and motivate, and with confidence to make decisions when required
• A desire to constantly learn, improve and share knowledge and experience
• A thorough understanding of both the design and construction processes, and the interface between them
• A good commercial understanding of contracts, procurement routes and risk management
• Good collaborative planning skills
• Thorough understanding of digital techniques, with a desire to drive improvements and benefits through embracing digital construction
• Excellent communication skills, both at the personal level and more formal reporting level
• Recognised degree qualification or equivalent and CIOB or equivalent is preferable
What's in it for you?
A challenging and continuously changing environment in a forward thinking organisation. In addition to an attractive salary and benefits package, we support further personal growth and development.
We are committed to developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customer base and the communities in which we operate, creating an environment which enables everyone to fulfil their potential.
BAM operates a flexible working policy.
Who are we?
We construct, refurbish, extend and repurpose buildings from our network of offices across England, Scotland and Wales.
We undertake award winning projects for the public and private sector.
We use the latest digital technologies and modern methods of construction, to help us to deliver projects in a lean, green and more efficient way.