Engineering Team Manager – Highways
Salary: £48,155 - £66,454
Closing date: 14/06/2021
Your new role
At Highways England, we are committed to keeping our strategic road network safe and available for everyone. As Engineering Team Manager – Highways (Improvements) in our Asset Needs Team, you will be responsible for the development of a five-year rolling programme of schemes to improve the safety and reliability of our network. You will also be responsible for the management of drainage, road signs and other ancillary assets.
As a proven people manager, you will lead and inspire a team of engineers to identify and prioritise the need for schemes, undertake feasibility studies and develop early solutions. Working with peers in other disciplines and colleagues across our business you will contribute to our Region’s integrated forward programme and the achievement of our business objectives for Roads Periods 2 and beyond.
Using your expert highway engineering knowledge and experience, you and your team will provide technical advice and support to designers, project managers and spatial planners, ensuring that our schemes and those of our stakeholders and other third parties meet our operational requirements.
As the South West focal point for improvement schemes, you will work collaboratively with both internal and external partners and stakeholders. This will include working with local and national teams within Highways England, our supply chain, local authorities and customers. You will also interface with our Safety, Engineer and Standards (SES) colleagues to ensure compliance with our asset management framework, technical standards and scheme approval governance.
There will be a requirement to travel between our offices and those of our stakeholders and partners. There will also be a requirement to occasionally work outside of normal office hours.
As you will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position and during employment.
What you’ll be leading on
- Lead, mentor and line management of a team of highway engineers, ensuring their health, safety and wellbeing, that timely objectives are set, regular performance management reviews undertaken and appropriate succession plans put in place.
- Production and development of Asset Class Management Plans for drainage, road signs and ancillary assets.
- Identifying and prioritising maintenance, renewal and improvement needs, undertaking studies, optioneering and preliminary designs, including compiling relevant documents, evidence and options for value management, taking into account standards, policies, strategies, industry innovations, delivery feasibility and cost.
- Development of the regional five-year programme for highway improvements, drainage, road signs and other ancillary assets.
- Compliance with our governance processes for renewal and improvement schemes, evidencing benefit and value for money to successfully secure funding for each stage of delivery.
- Managing the utilisation and allocation of team resources to ensure appropriate resourcing levels, including the management of outsourced work.
- Collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, partners, including our supply chain and customers.
- Continuously identify opportunities for efficiencies, working closely with internal and external stakeholders to implement ideas.
To be successful
- You will be a Chartered, or Incorporated Member of the ICE, IHE, IHT, have a Civil Engineering Degree, or equivalent and have extensive post-professional qualification with relevant experience to the role
- You will have strong leadership skills and extensive experience in managing a technical team
- You will have extensive experience of asset management decision making (capital investment, lifecycle costs, value optimisation, service & availability optimisation, social & economic knowledge)
- You will have extensive experience of developing strategic management plans and tactical implementation plans
- You will have extensive experience in collaborating with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile please contact firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference number HIG05170.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.