Health and Safety Advisor - London
You will join the BMB Tideway West HSSE team (BAM Nuttall, Morgan Sindall, Balfour Beatty), with the purpose of providing health and safety support to BMB projects. The role is to deliver the day-to-day occupational health and safety support to the BMB Worksite Delivery Teams to assist them in meeting legislative, parent company and client specific requirements and will include audit and assurance elements on behalf of BMB.
You will already have a good working knowledge of the construction and civil engineering industry, and be able to demonstrate experience in a similar role.
Your key activities will include:
- Understand the BMB policies and procedures and statutory requirements as they affect the operations and ensure that the requirements are implemented.
- Provide professional specialist health and safety advice to project delivery and management teams including monitoring the implementation of BMB parent company and client policies, standards and procedures.
- Inspection and reporting of HSSE standards on site in line with company and customer requirements. Mentor and assist project teams on standards of project health and safety inspection and corrective action.
- Assist the delivery teams and Health and Safety Manager in preparing and developing the Framework and worksite Construction Phase Plan (CPP) and coordinate reviews.
- Facilitate HSSE cascades and briefing of information including delivery of awareness and training programmes.
- Liaise with supply chain to monitor and improve performance in support of Transformational Safety philosophy.
- To support the HSSE function in the development and implementation of Integrated Management Systems and their continual improvement.
- When directed, assist with the preparation of HSSE risk assessments and method statements, Work Package Plans (WPP's) and Task Briefing Sheets (TBS).
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of health and safety training courses, as directed.
- Incident investigation and management of the reporting process in support of project's delivery, management and health and safety teams.
- Actively promote BMB and Client campaigns in addition to the implementation of best practice principles across the project, to include stakeholders such as the supply chain.
- Assist with the monitoring and reporting of BMB health and safety performance as directed.
- Act as the primary point of contact for both internal and client representatives when discussing health and safety matters, including attendance at health and safety meetings and facilitation support at worksite health and safety meetings in support of our BMB values and our BMB Delivery philosophy.
- Maintain own level of knowledge and competency in relation to health and safety management and responsibilities including appropriate qualification and professional membership.
- Support worksite teams in the provision of information and project data to HSSE databases.
Your qualifications, skills and experience should include:
- Relevant degree, NEBOSH Diploma or Safety and Health vocational qualification (essential).
- Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (TechIOSH / GradIOSH essential).
- Internal Auditor trained (desirable).
- Previous experience of health and safety within the civil engineering sector and in particular demolition, ground engineering and below ground tunnelling works.
- A knowledge of marine, dockland or offshore work would be beneficial.
- An up to date knowledge of relevant health and safety legislation and the application of accepted industry health and safety standards.
- Good written skills and the ability to prepare technical inspection reports, audit reports and documents for the submission of information to the client and external organisations.
- Previous experience in conducting incident investigations to a high standard including the utilisation of incident reporting software including root cause analysis.
- IT skills: Microsoft Office suite, online databases.
What do we offer?
- Attractive salary and benefits package, including pension; private healthcare; salary sacrifice scheme; life assurance; one volunteering day and two wellbeing days - in addition to 26 days holiday allowance.
- Continued personal, professional, technical and leadership development; career opportunities including coaching; mentoring and mentee scheme; membership of people networks; recognition and celebration of business and team achievements.
BAM Nuttall is one of Royal BAM Group's ten operating companies. One of Europe's largest contractors, along with BAM Construct UK and BAM PPP in the UK, we offer safe and secure employment and opportunities for our people to develop exceptional skills and experience, and harness innovation to build sustainable infrastructure.
We work collaboratively, forming strong alliances with our customers, supply chain and industry. As a well-run profitable business, we aim to achieve a net positive impact on society and the planet. Our heritage lies in changing cities towns and communities for the better. Acting as a responsible employer and partner has shaped who we are.
BAM Nuttall is committed to equality, and our employment practices support inclusivity and work-life balance, including flexible hours; accessibility support; investment in training and technology; fair opportunities.