Lifting Safety Engineer (Appointed Person) - Fareham
We are recruiting a Lifting Safety Engineer (Appointed Person) who will become part of the Assurance team on the Highways England M27 Smart Motorway project for the Bam Nuttall and Morgan Sindall Joint Venture.
The Lifting Safety Engineer (Appointed Person) will be responsible for the safe planning, preparation, review, management and execution of Lifting Operations (as and when required). This is to be done to a required standard and quality, ensuring priority is given to the safety of employees and the public as defined by (BS7121) LOLER / PUWER and CDM regulations where appropriate.
The role requirements and accountability will include:
- Review of contractors lift plans to ensure quality and compliance with the sites Lifting Standards.
- Carrying out lifting related contractor Audits, and supporting contractors with actioning improvements.
- Construct and approve safe systems of work by writing Lift Plans which include Method Statements, Risk Assessments using given information and be able to produce, understand and implement AutoCAD drawings for Lifting purposes.
- Plan, review and execute the Lift Plan requirements on site and coordinate the efficient, successful execution of project programme.
- Drive the Joint Venture safety culture - lead, encourage, document and monitor subcontractor, supplier and site team regime of safety audit, inspection and progress meetings to drive and continually improving safety culture.
- Collate, communicate and improve site safety performance to encourage an open and continually improving safety culture.
- Maintain detailed site logs and records of all project activity in support of the effective execution of project contract.
- Delegating duties but not responsibilities to the Lift Supervisors. Ensure that the Lift Supervisors are fully briefed on all aspects of the Lift Plan and all lifting operations.
- Know requirements of legislation, regulations and codes of Practice that relate to all types of lifting duties including basic, standard and complex (as defined by BS7121, LOLER, PUWER).
- As and when required calculate weights and centres of gravity for different types of loads, sling sizes and angles.
- As and when required calculate lifting equipment point loadings and spreader mat types and sizes from given information.
- Describe different communication methods for lifting purposes. Identify, by observation and information given to potential proximity hazards.
- Ensure that there is an effective procedure for reporting defects and incidents and taking the necessary actions.
- Identify and plan an area (or advise the supply chain), defining zonal working, for different, given lifting operations incorporating safe access / egress routes for before, during and after the lift.
- Evaluate and explain how environmental factors and the surrounding area external to the lift zone can affect the planned lifting operation.
Your qualifications, skills and experience should include:
- CPCS Appointed Persons Blue card (A61).
- At least two years' experience in the management of lifting operations.
- NEBOSH Certificate qualification or equivalent.
- Significant knowledge of LOLER BS7121 / PUWER and UK HSE Legislation (CDM, safety management).
- Construction industry knowledge.
- Experience of working with AutoCAD / MS Office.
- Experience of writing and working with method statements and risk assessments.
- Experience of writing and implementing lift plans - essential.
- Experience of establishing, creating and implementing processes in order to enhance personnel management.
- An understanding of Ground Bearing Pressures (GBP's).
- Problem solving and creative thinking.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Knowledge of maintenance, examination and testing requirements for lifting equipment and accessories.
What do we offer?
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we provide continuing development opportunities within a creative and considerate work environment.
BAM Nuttall is committed to equality of opportunity in all its employment practices, and to developing policies that support work-life balance.
BAM Nuttall is one of Royal BAM Group's ten operating companies. One of Europe's largest contractors, along with BAM Construct UK and BAM PPP in the UK, we offer safe and secure employment and opportunities for our people to develop exceptional skills and experience, and harness innovation to build sustainable infrastructure.
We work collaboratively, forming strong alliances with our customers, supply chain and industry. As a well-run profitable business, we aim to achieve a net positive impact on society and the planet. Our heritage lies in changing cities towns and communities for the better. Acting as a responsible employer and partner has shaped who we are.
BAM Nuttall is committed to equality, and our employment practices support inclusivity and work-life balance, including flexible hours; accessibility support; investment in training and technology; fair opportunities.