Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins has a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others will follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
The Transportation business covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management, from inception and options appraisal through to detailed design and delivery/construction support. It is our centre of excellence for the design of highway and rail infrastructure projects. We aim to be the first-choice designer for local and national highway authorities, contractors and developers.
We are currently seeking an Senior Engineer in our civils and structures team. The successful candidate will support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary projects in the wider UK, including major highways improvement schemes, East West Rail Phase 2 and HS2.
Using your technical and delivery skills, you’ll be responsible for delivering a variety of civil and structural design packages for new build highways and rail schemes, renewals schemes, and maintenance and assessment works. Your duties will include the production of design packages, to budget, to programme, and in accordance with Atkins’ quality assurance systems.
Your project involvement will be tailored by your specific background and skills, but will be a mix of the above as required.
You will have a background in civil engineering design and experience of delivery of design packages within highway or rail environments. You’ll be familiar with working on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
The Roles are open across the UK. While applying, please mention your preferred location
• BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
• Chartered status and corporate membership of the ICE, IHT or IStructE
The role will be varied, requiring a balance of relevant industry experience, technical ability, communication and stakeholder management skills. Essential criteria are noted below:
• Experience of working with key clients such as Local Authorities, Highways England, Network Rail, Developers and/or major Contractors
• Ability to contribute to bids and tenders
• Sufficient experience to undertake technical reviews of designs
• Good understanding of relevant design standards (e.g. DMRB, TSRGD, MCHW Eurocodes and those of Highways England, Network Rail and Manual for Streets)
• Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverables, delivering within set time frame
• Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types. This will include an ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities
• Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines
• Excellent spoken and written English
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual that is willing to work in a dynamic environment as part of a wider team. The preferred individual will be able to take ownership of their projects and responsibilities, comfortable working independently but able to seek advice from your colleagues where the job involves areas of work that are new.
Our team and our business are continually looking for ways to improve how we meet our clients’ needs, and encourage challenge and alternative viewpoints/approaches from all our staff. You will be required to adopt a similar mentality, bringing fresh ideas and perspectives to our team and our ways of working.
Flexible Benefits and Training
The health and well being of our staff is paramount, and as such Atkins offers a wide range of flexible benefits for all employees. Benefits include flexible holiday packages, bike4work, corporate gym membership and health insurance discounts and 24h access to our Employee Assistance Programme for confidential support on both personal and work-related issues.
Flexible and part-time working is also a key part of Atkins approach to health and well being, and as such applicants are welcome to discuss their specific working requirements if invited for interview. Full details of our benefits package can be found here:
Providing exceptional training for our staff is a cornerstone of our commitment to our workforce, and as such the successful candidate can expect mentoring and development throughout their career with Atkins.
We develop our individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through annual and mid-year appraisals, supplemented by regular 1-2-1s with line managers. Professional accreditation is also highly valued by our business, and as such when applicable you will be supported through your specific accreditation process by an appropriate mentor.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.