Senior Geotechnical Advisor
Senior Geotechnical Advisor
Locations: Guildford or Maidstone
Salary: £40,911 - £54,004
Closing Date: 25/11/2020
As a Senior Geotechnical Advisor you have a great opportunity to apply your geotechnical expertise, to provide technical oversight and CD622 certification services, working with a significant degree of autonomy. You’ll work with internal Project Managers, operational asset leads, technical colleagues and external designers, ensuring the proposed geotechnical solutions offer the best technical and commercial value, whilst minimising disruption to the travelling public. You’ll also have an opportunity to develop and support geotechnical innovation through our research programme as part of our future vision for the Strategic Road Network.
Our significant investment programme (RIS1 and now into RIS2) has created an exciting and varied geotechnical workload ranging from nationally significant projects such as the Lower Thames Crossing; large regional schemes and smart motorway upgrades; through to smaller renewal/improvement schemes and 3rd party works interfacing with our network. This is a great opportunity to apply your geotechnical expertise and gain further experience within an organisation that will value you both personally and professionally.
What you’ll be working on
- Providing appropriate and timely geotechnical advice, guidance and certification to maintain corporate governance.
- Leading and/or contributing to the development of technical standards both internally (DMRB and MCHW) and externally (BSI, CIRIA etc.), as well as managing projects within our technical consultancy and research portfolio.
- Contributing to the development and continual review of asset management policy (in specific areas of the geotechnical teams’ work).
- Continually developing your expertise in the field of geotechnics via discussion groups, workshops and training.
- Driving improvements in safety performance and leading by example whilst following the Highways England health, safety and welfare management system.
To be successful
- Ideally you will be qualified to CEng or CGeol level and be eligible for inclusion (or already included) on the Institution of Civil Engineers Register of Ground Engineering Professionals (ROGEP) at Specialist level. However, we will also consider candidates with equivalent experience if they are in the process of applying for professional accreditation.
- Experience in the application of geotechnical engineering to highway (or similar linear infrastructure) design, construction and maintenance is highly desirable.
- Demonstrable experience in the management of scheme geotechnical risks.
- Experience of working with a range of suppliers and stakeholders in the delivery of geotechnical objectives.
- Have strong networking and communication skills, including the capability to develop effective working relationships and present results.
A bit about us
The Geotechnical Team sit in the Geotechnics, Drainage and Pavements Group of the Asset Management Division in the Safety, Engineering and Standards Directorate. The team’s key priorities are to support world class operational delivery for our road network, also providing support services to lead, enable and innovate in the development of the Strategic Road Network and provide expert advice on matters relating to the geotechnical assets.
Want to know more?
For a copy of the generic role profile please email email@example.com quoting ref HIG04203
Video interviews are planned for 9th and/or 10th December
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Our vision is that everyone who uses our roads, as well as those who work for us, get home, safe and well. Our Home Safe and Well approach sets out our commitments and how our employees can contribute.
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.