Senior Geotechnical Advisor
Location: Bedford or Birmingham
Closing Date: 19/01/2020, 11:59:00 PM
Highways England is recruiting one Senior Geotechnical Advisor on a permanent basis, ideally to be based in our Bedford Office where most of the work is located, although we may consider our Birmingham Office as well, on the understanding that attendance in Bedford on a regular basis will be required.
This is a great opportunity to apply your geotechnical expertise, where you’ll be providing technical oversight and certification services, working with a significant degree of autonomy. You’ll work with internal Project Managers, asset and service delivery colleagues, other technical colleagues and external designers, ensuring the proposed geotechnical solutions offer the best technical and commercial value, whilst minimising disruption to the travelling public. You’ll also have an opportunity to develop and support geotechnical innovation through our research programme as part of our future vision for the Strategic Road Network.
Our significant investment programme has created an exciting and varied geotechnical workload. This ranges from nationally significant projects such as the Lower Thames Crossing and A303 (Stonehenge); large regional schemes and smart motorways; through to smaller renewal/improvement schemes and 3rd party works interfacing with our network.
What you’ll be leading on
- Provide appropriate and timely geotechnical advice, guidance and certification to maintain corporate governance.
- Support the operational management of our geotechnical assets, particularly the review of management plans and maintenance/renewal schemes.
- Lead and/or contribute to the development of relevant technical standards both internally (DMRB and MCHW) and externally (BSI, CIRIA etc.).
- Manage and/or develop projects within the technical consultancy and research portfolio and Innovation Programme, ensuring best value and alignment to Highways England objectives.
- Contribute to the development and continual review of asset management policy (in specific areas of the geotechnical teams’ work).
- Ensure the continual development of your expertise in the field of geotechnics via discussion groups, workshops and training.
- Drive improvements in safety performance and lead by example whilst following the Highways England health, safety and welfare management system.
To be successful
- Ideally you will be qualified to CEng or CGeol level and be eligible for inclusion (or already included) on the Institution of Civil Engineers Register of Ground Engineering Professionals (ROGEP) at Specialist level. However, we will also consider candidates with equivalent experience if they are in the process of applying for professional accreditation.
- Experience in the application of geotechnical engineering to highway (or similar linear infrastructure) design, construction and maintenance is highly desirable.
- Demonstrable experience in the management of scheme geotechnical risks.
- Experience of working with a range of suppliers and stakeholders in the delivery of geotechnical objectives.
- Have strong networking and communication skills, including the capability to develop effective working relationships and present results.
A bit about us
The Safety, Engineering and Standards team’s key priorities are to support world class operational delivery and technical advice for our road network, provide support services to lead, enable and innovate in the development of the Strategic Road Network and provide expert advice on matters relating to health and safety.
Want to know more?
Take a look at the role profile
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Our vision is that everyone who uses our roads, as well as those who work for us, get home, safe and well. Our Home Safe and Well approach sets out our commitments and how our employees can contribute.
Working for us, you’ll recognise the behaviours required to achieve our vision, and help create a fair and just culture for us all. You should be able to fully understand the hazards and risks that are involved in your work, and follow our procedures safely.
We want you to feel able to raise health, safety and wellbeing concerns with your colleagues, and to challenge unsafe conditions or behaviours wherever you see them. We’re always seeking to improve our performance,and want you to be at the heart of that - helping us all get home safe and well.
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.