Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Job Profile Summary
Reporting to the Civil and Geotechnical Engineering Manager, this role is an opportunity to join bp’s new, centralized, global team of geotechnical engineers and work initially on our new offshore wind projects. The focus of the role is the geotechnical aspects of the design, construction, and installation of foundations for Wind Turbine Generators (WTG) in support of bp’s low carbon energy projects and operations.
Whilst this is an opportunity to work on a range of global tasks, the role will be initially located in one of our offices in Sunbury or Houston. Subsequent project roles may include secondments into the offices of the primary project contractor.
- Providing geotechnical engineering subject matter expertise to low carbon offshore projects to support bp in achieving its net zero ambition.
- Supervising the planning and design of offshore WTG foundations including:
- Geotechnical site investigation and laboratory testing.
- Development of integrated ground models.
- Choice of foundation concept: monopiles, jacket foundations (driven piles, vibratory piles, bucket foundations), Gravity Base Structures, or other innovative concepts.
- Development of basis of design.
- Detailed design of foundations for ultimate, serviceability and fatigue limit states in clays, sands, and rocks.
- Analyses of foundation installation, including pile driving prediction and suction bucket embedment.
- Supporting conceptual development studies and site selection activities.
- Provide input to technology development initiatives.
- Adhering to bp’s code of conduct, ethics and compliance rules, and values & behaviours.
- Ensuring safe and cost-efficient design and integrity management throughout asset life.
- Ensuring design are in accordance with bp and industry technical practices and standards.
- Quantifying and communicating risks to relevant stakeholders to ensure they are understood, controlled and continuously reduced across the business.
- Maintaining relationships with third party suppliers, contractors, and other stakeholders.
- Representation of bp in relevant industry working groups and committees.
- Actively contributing to the geotechnical engineering community of practice to share knowledge and learnings.
- Participating in mentoring and coaching by actively sharing expertise and experience with team members.
- Degree in civil/geotechnical engineering.
- Appropriate professional accreditation (e.g. Chartered civil engineer, P.E. status, or chartered status in closely aligned discipline).
- Significant, proven experience in the design, construction, and installation of foundations for offshore WTG.
- Deep geotechnical engineering subject matter expertise, including:
- Knowledge of soil sampling and in-situ testing tools for clays, sands, and rocks.
- Knowledge of laboratory tests and how they are used in design methods and constitutive models.
- Experience in the integration of geophysical and geotechnical data to develop ground models.
- Experience with machine learning techniques to develop synthetic ground models (e.g. CPT profiles)
- Experience in designing monopiles with state-of-the-art methods (e.g. Finite Element Methods with software such as ABAQUS or PLAXIS, PISA methods, and others).
- Experience in designing driven piles for jacket foundations.
- Experience in installation analyses of WTG foundations.
- Excellent knowledge of industry codes and standards.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in a clear and succinct manner.
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams with minimal technical supervision.
- Ability to use strong technical skills to think strategically and provide powerful insights.
- Awareness of structural aspects of WTG foundation design.
- Experience in design of rock socketed piles.
- Experience in design of GBS foundations.
- Ability to cost the design, fabrication, and installation of WTG foundations.
- Experience with software such as OPILE, GRLWEAP
- Experience in the oil & gas industry.
Gas & Low Carbon Energy
Job Family Group
Yes - up to 25%
United Kingdom, United States of America
PRODUCTION & OPERATIONS
This is the place to truly drive change. Our people develop hydrocarbon resources, deliver projects, operate refineries as well as oil and gas production assets.
Join us and make a difference by:
• making our production and operations safer and more standardised
• driving quicker reduction of our carbon emissions
• growing cash returns and delivering improved reliability and optimisation
• maximising efficiency through sharing resources
• accelerating the digital transformation of our operating assets
• developing our people faster, leveraging the scale of P&O
• building greater integration and collaboration in service of our purpose