Senior Port/Maritime Engineer
DP World in the UK is at the heart of Britain’s trading future, providing the right trading infrastructure and smart logistical solutions for our customers. We believe in the UK market and have the ambition and the resources to boost growth, support businesses, create jobs and improve living standards.
As part of DP World, London Gateway offers the opportunity to work for a global institution in a challenging working environment that relies upon team work, commitment and leadership.
London Gateway is a unique development that will combine the UK's newest deep-sea container port in London with Europe's largest logistics park.
Senior Port/Maritime Engineer
Reporting to the Head of Civil Engineering, the Senior Port/Maritime Engineer is responsible for managing the delivery of all maritime and port works. This includes directing and advising our maritime works consultants and contractors to ensure designs are optimised for value, and that works are within cost budgets and timescales. The successful candidate will work and manage an exciting container terminal expansion plan to suit our business growth strategy.
- Leading the feasibility, scoping, design, tendering and construction of all maritime and port works to a standard suitable for the planned objectives including operation of the port;
- Working within project budgets and managing claims and any resultant variations to minimise the costs commensurate with achieving the planned objectives;
- Ensuring work packages are completed on time or, should delays occur, all reasonable actions are taken to minimise the effect of such delays;
- Ensuring that all work packages will be delivered to the highest quality and technical standards
- Supervision and co-ordination of construction works on site;
- Pro-actively managing London Gateway’s independent checking and supervising engineers for the maritime and port works;
- Providing specialist advice on acceptable practices and details to the designers;
- Monitoring project budgets and claims and flag and escalate problems as necessary;
- Leading procurement of the required statutory marine consents, monitoring compliance with the conditions and liaising with regulators to achieve final regulatory acceptance.
- Manage the delivery of key maritime maintenance delivery regime such as dredging, regulatory licenses etc
- Implement allocated elements of functional plan of wide scope to achieve agreed objectives;
- Allocate and manage designated resources to achieve identified elements of the functional plan;
- Control expenditure to meet allocated budget;
- Contribute to the development of policies and procedures related to functional expertise;
- Lead and develop team/s to accomplish agreed plan;
- Drive technical and cost effective improvements in project specifications and project delivery;
- Drive safety leadership within the function;
- Focus on continuously improving effectiveness of functional support to business growth;
- Meet customer and stakeholder expectations in line with agreed plan;
- Monitor, analyse and report on performance;
- Provide coaching and mentoring advice and guidance;
- Build and maintain relations with other elements and departments to ensure functional support;
- Manage and solve complex problems at a broad level including conceptual/systems issues.
Qualifications, skills and experience required:
- Must possess a degree or higher degree in civil engineering.
- Hold and maintain professional/academic qualifications or appropriate expertise;
- Must be a Chartered Civil Engineer
- A sound knowledge of Civil Engineering practices and CDM regulations
- Good understanding of ICE, NEC, JCT and FIDIC contracts
- Ability to co-ordinate design teams and Contractors
- Extensive experience in working in Port and Marine environments. Container terminal experience is an advantage;
- Strong analytical skills and confident in handling and interpreting numerical data and information;
- Good report writing skills;
- Ability to collate and disseminate facts ensuring that the audience understands information being presented supported by high presentation proficiency to present the project in a variety of forums to different levels of business;
- Confident communicator both face to face and in writing with all levels;
- Advanced level knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint packages to competently use computer software to create documents, spreadsheets and presentations;
- Willingness to learn new skills and knowledge;
- To be able to demonstrate experience to include both the detailed design and supervision of container terminals and port works.
All positions within DP World London Gateway are subject to DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks.
DP World (UK) welcomes applications from black, Asian and minority ethnic candidates, LGBTQ+ candidates, candidates with disabilities, and from women, because we would like to increase the representation of these groups within the port industry. We promote equality, diversity and inclusion in our workplace and make employment decisions by matching business needs with the skills and experience of candidates, irrespective of age, disability (including hidden disabilities), gender, gender identity or gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. We are keen to encourage a diverse range of perspectives, skills, experience and knowledge within our business.
Competitive salary offered.
Closing date for applications: 13th May 2021
To apply for this position and view our other Civil Engineering vacancies, please visit our website: www.londongateway.com/about/careers