At Arcadis, we never lose sight of what’s most important. Because look beyond our projects and programmes and you’ll see it’s about human stories. From remaking public spaces that bring people together, to making cities easier to navigate, we’re focused on making an impact where it matters most – and improving quality of life.
It’s a big challenge. And why we need people committed to bringing their best, who deliver on their promises. People who value different perspectives, build sustainable relationships and dare to shape the future. People who seize the experiences available to transform their world – and the world around them.
It’s a shared goal amongst 27,000 Arcadians. And one we can only achieve by working together and applying our skills and expertise across design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services. It’s how we’ll find solutions to our clients’ most complex challenges. And how we’ll deliver exceptional results, today and tomorrow. We are now looking to recruit a Senior or Principal Geotechnical Engineer, who has practical geotechnical work and design experience, to join our growing Geotechnical and GIS team in Birmingham. The role will comprise working predominantly within our Utilities, Highways and Rail sectors, but also working on a wide portfolio of schemes throughout the UK. Reporting to the Team Leader and Regional Operations Director, you will be required to coordinate the geotechnical input into multidisciplinary design projects of varying budgets and scales. The role will involve building relationships with internal and external clients, controlling technical and commercial aspects of projects together with assisting and participating in developing team members to their full potential.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Proactively managing selected projects or components of projects, taking responsibility for resource allocation, managing subcontractors and sub-consultants, quality assurance, health & safety and client feedback and ensuring effective communication with all involved parties
- Managing the production of analysis and design and ensuring compliance in the components of the project for which you have responsibility, including drawings, reports, specifications and studies
- Identifying opportunities and driving implementation of innovative strategies to maximise the technical value and profitability of design deliverables
- Gaining a good understanding of the background of the client’s business and industry to facilitate building effective and enduring relationships and consolidating both company and personal credibility in the industry
- Liaising with the Project Director or Manager and the client to keep informed of all developments associated with the project
- Providing direction to the discipline team, leading by example to achieve Sector/ Discipline goals and championing a quality, innovative, client-focused and entrepreneurial culture
- Being familiar, compliant and able to undertake duties under the relevant H & S regulations and to promote a culture of awareness within the team
To be considered for a role we are seeking candidates with the following credentials:
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
MEng in Civil Engineering with a Geotechnical bias, or
BSc in Geology with an MSc in Geotechnical Engineering or Engineering Geology bias, or
BSc in Geotechnical Engineering and Engineering Geology.
Chartership (ICE, IOM3, or GeolSoc) is required for a Principal role and desirable for a Senior role.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum supervision and provide direction to junior staff with excellent communication and motivational skills.
- Proven experience on large multi-disciplinary projects preferably in the UK.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to fulfil responsibilities of client liaison and mentoring junior staff.
- Good numerical and design skills and significant experience in the analysis of a wide range of geotechnical problems, including:
- Experience in implementation of Eurocode 7.
- Detailed geotechnical design experience including foundations, retaining walls and slope stability assessments.
- Experience in earthworks design, specification and implementation
- Experience in ground investigation design and implementation
- Experience in the use of routine geotechnical design programs such as PDISP, WALLAP, Slope/W.
- Experience with Repute is desirable.
- Working knowledge of Highways England and network Rail Standards.
- Good people management skills with an ability to influence staff and clients particularly regarding technical issues.
- Can demonstrate a high level of knowledge and experience with regards commercial aspects of projects, including bidding and project management.
- Flexible to travel in UK and working away from base office when required.
At Arcadis, you’ll have the opportunity to build the career that’s right for you. Because each Arcadian has their own motivations, their own career goals. And, as a ‘people ?rst’ business, it’s why we’ll take the time to listen, to understand what you want from your time here, and provide the support you need to achieve your ambitions. Wherever you join us, you can look forward to a competitive reward package that includes an attractive starting salary, opportunities for career development and being part of a sociable community. We have a performance-related bonus scheme and an employee recognition scheme. Other bene?ts include membership fees to join your relevant professional body, employer contribution pension scheme, ?exible working and a flexible holiday scheme.
We believe that by working together diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life and we work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success.
Senior or Principal Geotechnical Engineer needed to join our Geotechnical Team in Birmingham