Senior Quantity Surveyor
Senior Quantity Surveyor - Birmingham.
Required to work on our HS2 enabling works contract (Area Central) out of central Birmingham offices.
As part of the Fusion JV, we will deliver essential preparatory ground works to some 100km of the phase 1 route, before the commencement of major civil engineering activities.
Typical activities will include; highway design and build schemes, demolition, ground remediation, advanced landscape planting and woodland habitat creation, watercourse activities, utility diversions, design and build of new ecological sites, site clearance and establishing site compounds. In addition, Fusion are also responsible for undertaking a wide range of intrusive and non-intrusive surveys, ranging from environmental, ecology, soil and ground investigation, demolition and archaeology.
Your key activities will include:
- Maintain high personal safety and environmental standards in accordance with Company policy. Full understand, participate in and encourage others in the "Beyond Zero" declared vision.
- Maintain effective communication with contract managers, project managers, managing / project QS and other associated disciplines.
- Assist in staff matters which may include: attitude and behavioural issues, competency, retainment and staff allocation to meet a project's need.
- Manage, supervise, mentor and train your "reports" within the commercial structure.
- Carry out staff performance and development reviews and assist in the operation of the commercial training programme.
- Provide and control strategy of commercial contacts with client's representatives.
- Provide commercial contact with supply chain partners through pre-contract meetings, contract vetting and input to subcontract documents.
- Commercial management of subcontractors including processing payments, obtaining final account agreements, and resolving disputed issues by negotiation, if appropriate.
- Monitor the timely production of reliable cost performance data.
- Produce and present monthly / quarterly reports.
- Initiate discussions concerning project performance and provide commercial input to project strategy.
- Understand and ensure compliance with Company Procedures. Provide input into drafting new or to improve existing procedures.
- Be responsible for change management including ensuring adherence to the programme 'established approach'.
- Be responsible for the timely production of appropriate levels of applications for payments in accordance with the provisions of the conditions of contract.
- Provide commercial advice to the site team, and management on all contractual issues.
- Attend and provide input to all site commercial meetings.
- Produce the financial assessment of insurance claims with insurer's representatives.
- Manage time and workloads for yourself and your commercial team in a structured manner.
- Assist in the defining and delivery of commercial training to all site staff.
Your qualifications and experience should include:
- To the standard of Member of CICES or RICS.
- Successful experience at Quantity Surveyor level.
- Evidence of involvement in and understanding of construction law and contractual terms in all standard contract forms.
- Thorough knowledge of construction procedures and working methods.
What do we offer?
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we provide continuing development opportunities within a creative and considerate work environment.
BAM Nuttall is committed to equality of opportunity in all its employment practices, and to developing policies that support work-life balance.
BAM Nuttall is focused on providing the highest professional standards in the civil engineering market, with emphasis on building strong, honest and long lasting relationships with satisfied customers. We have established an unrivalled reputation for delivering complex and challenging civil engineering projects that have played a significant role in shaping the infrastructure of modern Britain.