£32,234 - £33,782
Bedford Borough, is the place to grow, the Council is committed to supporting people, enhancing places, creating wealth and empowering communities and now offers you an exciting opportunity to join its in-house Engineering Services team. With significant infrastructure projects such as the £20 million pound Transporting Bedford 2020 project and recently announce £22.6 million pound Town Deal, this really does presents you with a unique opportunity to deliver your engineering work within a thriving local authority engineering team.
You will work in the traditional areas of design, technical approvals, supervision and asset management, but you will also take in the inception and constitutional areas of projects. The multi-disciplinary team you will be joining has professional engineers who work together across all areas of highways, intelligent transport, bridges, lighting, signs, drainage, and developer-led works. With the Council containing most services under one roof you will also meet/get to know lots of other specialists, including our colleagues in transport, planning, building services and parks teams.
Reporting directly to the Team Leader for Structures and Street Lighting we are looking for a Structures Inspector to join our team. A typical week for you could include:
• Programming and delivering the Council’s annual general and principal structures inspections schedules, including the associated reporting.
• Assisting in the planning/organising of specialist access equipment or diagnostic investigations of structures by others.
• Planning and completing the site work associated with bridge inspections in a range of different environments in a safe manner, including independent travelling to site when required.
• Assisting in arranging remedial treatment for all defects which fall outside the adopted standards, including control of the revenue budgets to order works.
• Providing specialist technical input into the supervision and inspection of structures construction works, both as part of standalone structures schemes and as part of larger multi-disciplinary projects. This is to include quality controls, record keeping and supervision of testing.
We are searching for people who have:
• HND or HNC in Civil/Structural Engineering or significant previous experience in structures inspections/supervision. It would be desirable to have or be working towards a professional qualification.
The Council is committed to offering you a good work-life balance, which includes its flexitime and agile working arrangements, there is a service to be delivered, but we don’t forget your home requirements or those precious personal moments, such as family gatherings or school plays. You would work a 37 hour working week with 26 days of annual leave (increasing to 31 days after 5 years’ service), compensated by a competitive salary and a pension scheme that will be completely unrivalled in the private sector.
Bedford Borough Council is an inclusive employer. It is your engineering skills that we are after, so why not join the engaging and supportive team with all of the opportunities and benefits that it can offer you?
To find out more about this role, and other opportunities, please use the link below:
Closing Date: 15th August 2021