Working for the Capital Delivery Service
If you are a Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer with proven and wide experience in a design practice then the Capital Delivery Service at Sheffield City Council may have the perfect opportunity you are looking for.
Working for Sheffield City Council brings with it great opportunities and benefits. We are proud of the offer we make to staff which includes one of the best pension schemes available in any sector and values that support family friendly working arrangements.
We aim to attract staff that represent and value the diverse and vibrant communities of Sheffield and best of all we offer the opportunity to live and work in a wonderful city that you will be working directly to shape.
Sheffield City Council sets out the behavioural expectations of all employees. Please read and consider these in your application, you will be expected to demonstrate these behaviours at interview.
Technical Manager - Structural and Civil Engineering.
To enhance the delivery of the capital programme, we are looking to appoint the above person to play a key role within our design team.
Duties & responsibilities within the role will include:
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes/skills in the following areas:
- Good standards of literacy and numeracy
- Excellent organisation skills
- Ability to work under own initiative and also within multi-disciplinary design teams.
- Ability to lead a small team of Structural and Civil Engineers working on a wide and diverse project portfolio.
- Excellent and well proven design and engineering skills, always showing openness to innovation.
- A high degree of technical competence and construction knowledge.
- An ability to accurately survey and evaluate existing buildings for structural condition and produce high quality reports on the same.
- Wide and proven track record of working with architects to obtain planning and building control approvals for projects.
- Proficiency in all Autodesk and NBS design software, with a working knowledge of Building Information Modelling.
- Proficiency using Tekla TEDDS. Proven ability to use SCALE (calculation software) and ArcReader.
- A working knowledge of green building issues.
- A working knowledge of building conservation principles.
- Ability to carry out all the above in a Project Management focussed office environment, with an always challenging workload.
- BEng in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- MEng in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in an engineering/ design office environment.
- Chartered Member of the ICE or IStructE [C.Eng MICE or C.Eng MIStructE].
- Demonstrable commitment to personal development in the form of Continuing Professional Development.
Shortlisting will be carried out based on the person specification.
Sheffield City Council does not accept CV’s – please apply via www.sheffield.gov.uk
The Capital Delivery Service
Sheffield City Council has a strong Capital Construction Programme with an ongoing value of approximately £200m per annum. To ensure the highest quality delivery standards are achieved, a Capital Delivery Hub (the Capital Delivery Service) has been created to drive ongoing improvements in performance, pace and quality of the widely varying projects within the programme.
The Capital Delivery Service employs 70+ staff in a variety of management, technical and professional roles and has an in-house Multi-Disciplinary Design Team that provides design services to a wide range of construction projects.
The roles and services provided by the Capital Delivery Service include:
- Capital Programme Management Office
- Programme and Project Management
- Cost Management
- Structural and Civil Engineering
- Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
- Work Assurance and Project Safety
The Service is a fully traded service, charging fees for the services it provides and operating as a professional services consultancy within the City Council.
The Service has a strong track record of delivery and operates an ISO 9001 certified Service Management System. The Service has a vision for developing into a public sector leading centre of excellence for the delivery of capital projects and programmes and is at the forefront for driving change in how the Council delivers these programmes.
The Service operates a “core and flex” delivery model where the internal team is supplemented by external resources when workload requires this.
To support this, the service has appointed a private sector capital delivery partner that can provide the full range of services needed to support the delivery of the capital programme and support the development of best practice and staff within the service.
The Service also works with a wide range of local and national contractors and service providers for the delivery of the programme and prides itself on the strong working relationships that it has developed with its partners.
Training and Development
Working within the service there are many opportunities for ongoing training and development. We seek to provide a range of training opportunities to suit the ongoing development needs of our staff and the Capital Programme.
The Service is engaged across the diverse range of projects within the Capital Programme. The programme averages around £200m per annum, with recent and current projects including:
- New Secondary & Primary Schools (£75m)
- New Leisure centres (£20m)
- SCRIF Programme (£20m)
- Highways / Cycle / Footpath Programme (£80m)
- City-Wide Flood Alleviation Programme (£80m)
- New Council Housing Programme (£100m)
- Various Council Housing Repairs / Refurbishment Programme (£100m)
- General Building Refurbishments (£10m per annum)