UK Testing Manager (Geotechnical Laboratory)
Fugro are now seeking a Testing Manager to lead and develop our world class Geotechnical Laboratory based in Consett. The accredited soils laboratory uses state-of-the-art equipment to perform sophisticated soils testing programmes which are crucial to projects with great sensitivity to soil behaviour such as high-rise building, bridges, dams, power plants, mines and tunnels. As UK Testing Manager, you will have commercial and operational responsibility for the laboratory and will work to develop the service line in the UK whilst also project managing the laboratory expansion. Using your people management and technical skills, you will lead a dedicated team of laboratory staff, with a focus on their professional development.
This job is for you if:
- You have strong leadership skills and enjoy coaching and leading a team.
- You have experience in geotechnical engineering – specifically laboratory management.
- You are proactive and decisive with a passion for delivering projects safely, to specification, on budget and on time.
Who you’ll be working with:
You will be working closely with our Laboratory Manager, Technicians, and Sample Handlers to ensure smooth running of the laboratory. You will also regularly work with our Service Line Managers, marketing and commercial teams to ensure timely delivery of projects.
Here’s what a typical day would be like:
- Working closely with the Country Business Line Director and Regional Service Line manager to develop a clear marketing strategy, new opportunities, and best practises.
- Driving adherence to Fugro Health and Safety Management Systems, policies and standards.
- Working to continuously improve our laboratory performance and compliance whilst managing our facilities.
- Interacting with Project Managers to ensure service delivery.
- Managing profit and loss of UK Land Testing activities.
- Meeting with clients to develop relationships and new business opportunities.
- Developing your team through succession planning and appraisals in line with Fugro Values.
Who we’re looking for:
- A degree in Geology, Earth Science or Civil Engineering or equivalent qualification
- Experience working in laboratory operations or ground investigations projects
- Knowledge of geotechnical testing equipment and processes
- Good understanding of profit and loss management
- Demonstrable experience in project and team management
- Strong communication skills
- An MSc in Engineering Geology, Soil Mechanics, Geotechnics would also be advantageous.
- Chartered Civil Engineer or equivalent would be beneficial.
- Lean Six Sigma Qualification
What we’ll offer you:
Benefits of this role include a competitive salary accompanied by an attractive package including contributory pension scheme, life assurance, 20 days annual leave and private medical insurance.