Membership Development Officer
Membership Development Officer –West Midlands Region
Salary: £36,000 per annum, plus a car allowance of £4,000 per annum
Location: Home based
Hours: 36.25 hours per week
Holiday: 23 + 2 fishing days per year
Closing Date: 26/07/20
Interview Date: 06/08/20
The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) is an international membership organisation that promotes and advances civil engineering around the world. ICE is a qualifying body, a centre for the exchange of specialist knowledge, and a provider of resources to encourage innovation and excellence in the profession worldwide.
The Institution of Civil Engineers Mid England Membership area requires a Membership Development Officer (MDO) based in the West Midlands to work with other members of the Mid England Team and active Members, to deliver membership support and promote the benefits of ICE membership to non-members. The post-holder will work in conjunction with the Membership Manager and other MDOs in the Mid England region to develop and deliver a coherent regional strategy for membership development, including co-ordinating the development and delivery of ICE training and services to individuals and companies with the West Midlands region.
Duties and responsibilities
- Business development - developing and marketing activities to progress and support aspirant members for the different routes to membership and ensuring effective delivery
- Membership growth – undertaking activities to promote and grow membership.
- Membership Support – providing advice and guidance to members and non-members in the West Midlands when the need arises
- Employer Support – providing advice and guidance to employers on professional development
- Further Education establishments– developing links and projects to raise awareness of ICE membership and professional development
- Working closely with the Mid England Membership Manager, existing MDOs, Membership Support Centre and Membership areas to ensure a consistency of approach
- Ensuring that ICE membership records are up to date
What are we looking for?
- Applicants must be educated to degree level or have equivalent experience of civil engineering and/or training and development. A Chartered or Incorporated Civil Engineer (or a broad knowledge of Civil Engineering) would be desirable, though not essential
- Previous business development experience would be advantageous
- You will have previous exposure to liaising with a wide audience of people, along with the ability to engage and relate to senior members of the engineering and education professions. Ideally you should also be experienced at working with volunteer committees
- Attention to detail and the ability to turn technical material into non-technical outputs are essential, as is the ability to target and engage a diverse range of audiences
- The ability to work alone and as part of a multi-functional team, while managing and planning a number of simultaneous tasks effectively is key to this role
- The successful candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to prepare and deliver presentations. You will also be capable of public facing interactions on a personal and group basis
- You must have a good working knowledge of MS Office applications. Experience working with databases is also useful, but not essential
- There will be a need to work with volunteers outside “normal office hours”, when necessary.
- The role will require regular travel across the West Midlands region
ICE Group benefits include:
- 25 days annual leave
- Up to eight per cent of salary contributed to a personal pension scheme
- 24 hour employee support line
- Death in service benefit equivalent to one year’s salary
- Childcare vouchers
- Interest free season ticket loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Big Gym membership savings with the Gymflex scheme
Applicants should submit a cover letter within the same document as their CV, answering the following two questions:
- Why and how does your experience equip you to carry out this role? (Max one side A4)
- How you would approach the requirements of this role? (Max one side A4)