Uni4Talent is a new University initiative to better connect regional employers with University of Sunderland students, graduates and alumni. Uni4Talent provides candidates with access to a range of exciting opportunities, from temporary roles to permanent positions.
Our client is an established firm based in Tyne and Wear, producing innovative high speed machines and power electronics solutions.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced engineer to join the expanding team as Principal Engineer. Candidates must have previous experience of power electronics with a rail rolling stock or energy / grid background. Candidates must also have experience of concept design.
The successful candidate will be an experienced engineer, with a strong career history in either the energy or rail industries. Day to day duties will include leading a multi-skilled power electronics design team in the technical execution of one or more projects. Based in Gateshead in the North East of England, the Principal Engineer will deliver a product technically compliant to the requirements of the customer within the prescribed lead time and to meet the financial requirements defined by the project budget.
* To provide a professional technical interface between the company and the customer.
* To define and model the product system in line with the customer requirements and the company's tendered bid to ensure the design meets all requirements and is stable in all operating conditions.
* To define and produce the system functional description for the design to disseminate the requirements to the rest of the technical team and to ensure customer acceptance of the design is achieved at the earliest opportunity.
* To work closely with the project manager to ensure that the project execution is approached in the most efficient and risk reduced manner.
* To define, control and monitor the technical work packages allocated to the project delivery team.
* To review and approve all documentation, component specifications and internal technical procedures relating to delivery of the project.
* To schedule and chair design reviews of all project sub systems to ensure compliance with the technical requirements, product safety, risk (programme and technical), cost and manufacturability.
* To co-ordinate the production of all presentation material and supporting documents for all major design reviews.
* To attend and present design review materials to the customer either on the company's site or at the customer premises (as necessary).
* To identify and communicate technical scope growth, specification creep and variations.
* To assist in the management of the customer to ensure that the documentation deliverables do not exceed the tendered scope of work.
* To ensure that all products are fully compliant prior to dispatch from the company by appropriate qualification testing.
* To provide advice on all aspects of design and engineering to other senior managers and staff to ensure effective decision making.
* To support all quality initiatives proposed and utilised by the Company.
* To actively promote Health and Safety across the function and the site.
* To carry out other duties from time to time as the business requires.
* Degree qualified (BEng 2:1 or higher) in Electronic Engineering
* Experience of rail power products requirements, testing and qualification.
* Demonstrable experience in the design and test of Power Electronic Converters (AC:DC, DC:DC, DC:AC) and/or Motor Drives.
* Be able to demonstrate experience in using simulation tools including Matlab/Simulink.
* Knowledge of power electronics design, analogue and systems engineering, digital electronics, system simulation, thermal design and specification of electromagnetic assemblies.
* Knowledge of EMC standards and mitigation through design.
* Good communication and presentation skills, written and oral
* Motivated and organised individual who is at ease liaising with customers and suppliers
* Comfortable working both as part of a team and cross functionally
* Post graduate qualification in Electronic Engineering (M.Eng or PhD), Member of IET, Chartered Engineer
* Experience of Rail, Energy, Defence and/or Industrial Power Products. Support for preparation of technical bids.
* Knowledge of microprocessor control, embedded systems and control engineering, and software development.
* Proven managerial and leadership skills i.e. experienced in managing day to day running of a team of 3-6 multi-disciplined engineers
50000.00 - 50000.00 GBP Annual + GBP50000/annum