Project Health, Safety and Wellbeing Advisor - Birmingham.
BAM Nuttall are looking for a Project Health, Safety and Wellbeing Advisor to work on one of our major infrastructure joint venture projects based out of our Birmingham office, requiring travel between there and the various construction work sites located more remotely from Birmingham.
Suitable candidates will have a background in civil engineering construction projects and, ideally, with major infrastructure project experience. Joint venture experience will be an added advantage.
Key duties will include:
- Develop a close working relationship with the client, supply chain and other stakeholders to ensure effective communication between all parties on Health, Safety and Wellbeing (H,S & W) matters.
- Attend and contribute to collaborative meetings, forums and workshops and represent the JV on H,S & W matters and feedback to the JV team and supply chain.
- Supporting the development, implementation and maintenance of the JV H,S & W management system in line with the contractual requirements and OSHAS 18001 / ISO 45001.
- Liaise with external bodies where required on H,S & W matters.
- Actively involved with ensuring that H,S & W risks are identified and mitigated from conceptual design through to the construction phase and beyond, with a strong emphasis on designing out H,S & W risks.
- Work collaboratively with the Client to develop a step change in innovative health, wellbeing and rehabilitation initiatives and processes where the focus is very much on prevention as opposed to treatment.
- Willing and able to lead on H,S & W strategies and champion a positive organisational cultural approach to world class H,S & W performance.
- To support the communication and understanding of all H,S & W plans, policies, procedures and initiatives throughout the supply chain.
- To ensure that H,S & W performance is monitored and measured in line with the JV and Client's contractual requirements, including trend analysis.
- To promote the Client and JV vision and values in all dealings with other employees, Client, supply chain and other external contacts.
- Carry out high quality inspections and audits that go beyond addressing compliance and, in addition, identify both barriers and opportunities for improved operational resilience.
- Monitor close out of H&S reviews and audits within prescribed timescales.
- To participate in and support the development and delivery of H,S & W training.
- To lead and/or participate in accident investigations, ensuring that all investigations are robust with all findings clearly evidenced by the data and supporting meaningful remedial actions.
- Have a thorough understanding of incident investigation models and methodologies.
Your qualifications, skills and experience should include:
- Detailed knowledge of health and safety legislation and industry best practice
- Excellent communication skills and ability to engage at a variety of levels throughout the business, including with the Client.
- Possess a level of technical experience to be able to constructively contribute to problem solving sometimes complex activities.
- Good influencing and persuasive skills with an ability to build effective working relationships with people at all levels.
- Good listening, reflection and questioning skills to act as an effective coach to managers, supervisors and staff.
- At least GradIOSH / TechIOSH and working towards CMIOSH.
- At least NEBOSH Level 3 Certificate or equivalent in occupational health and safety.
- A working knowledge of OSHSAS 18001 / ISO45001.
- An experienced accident investigator with a good understanding of investigation methodologies. A formal lead accident investigator qualification would be desirable.
What do we offer?
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we provide continuing development opportunities within a creative and considerate work environment.
BAM Nuttall is committed to equality of opportunity in all its employment practices, and to developing policies that support work-life balance.
BAM Nuttall is focused on providing the highest professional standards in the civil engineering market, with emphasis on building strong, honest and long lasting relationships with satisfied customers. We have established an unrivalled reputation for delivering complex and challenging civil engineering projects that have played a significant role in shaping the infrastructure of modern Britain.