Senior Mechanical Engineer
Atkins has been successful in securing a number of major water frameworks to plan and construct schemes programmed for the AMP6 investment period from 2015-2020. The emphasis of this new investment period is on achieving positive outcomes for customers, which means we require engineers willing to challenge standard practise, integrate with a wider range of stakeholders and see beyond the standard outputs of engineering design in delivering projects.
Atkins Mechanical, Electrical and Process Engineering (MEP) team is part of its Water Operations business, which will be in the front line of delivering these new frameworks. As well as our Water Industry Clients, Water Operations also provides engineering expertise to a wide range of cross-sector clients, in water-related environmental, energy and service delivery industries.
MEP has staff based around the UK and in India. This enables us to respond to client needs on both a national and local scale. We understand that good communication is crucial to the successful delivery of any project and our network of offices allows key staff to be readily available to service the needs of our clients.
We have opportunities for Senior Mechanical Engineers with a broad-ranging design background within the Water Consultancy Sector to join our MEP team in the South East region.
- Candidates must be Degree qualified (or equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering
- Computer literate and able to work effectively work with the basic Microsoft suite of programmes as a minimum
- Experience of working with company policies and standards
- Proven understanding of the design process and ability to demonstrate working knowledge of brief/scope documents, design concepts as well as significant experience technically i.e. calculations
- Experienced in production/input to design risk assessments and familiar with relevant HSE legislation
- A desire to develop project management skills, in parallel with technical design including preparing and monitoring project programmes as well as monitoring project budgets
- An engineering chartership
- Demonstrable experience within the UK water engineering sector with experience in both wastewater and water
- Experience in a consultancy environment
The role of a Senior Mechanical Engineer within the MEP stream will require the individual to undertake the following duties:
- Project Health and Safety including H&S project plans, site visit risk assessments & CDM awareness
- Technical input into Optioneering, scoping, feasibility studies, outline and detailed design projects as well as support as required to other members of the project team
- Technical report writing
- Adherence to company policies and standards when delivering projects
- Develop opportunities through close liaison with both internal and external Clients
- Experience of project cost estimation and bids
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Capable of building and maintaining strong business relationships with internal line managers and external clients.
- Ability to be flexible and to be able to multi-task and prioritise when necessary.
- Self motivated and able to work on own initiative
- Able to work as part of a team or in isolation when required.
- Ability to complete assignments on time, within budget and to a high technical standard.
- Ability to lead and develop others
Key Words: mecchanical design engineering, water jobs, wastewater jobs, amp6 jobs, mechanical design engineer, eight2o jobs, 820 jobs, 82o jobs