Senior Bridge Engineer - Swindon, UK
CH2M is a global leader in consulting, design and programme management. We love to tackle complex challenges, and we know that our best solutions come out of close, trusted partnerships with our clients and the communities we touch.
CH2M’s Bridges Team in Swindon is seeking to maintain and grow its capability with a view to delivering its growing portfolio of major scheme for clients such as the Highways Agency, Transport for Scotland, Welsh Government, Network Rail, local authorities, contractors and a variety of international clients. We also work with developers in realising their bridge related projects, achieved through a fully integrated approach to project delivery; drawing on the services of all CH2M skill groups from locations throughout the region.
We are a centre for excellence for bridge and structural design, in particular specialising in major crossings such as:
• Izmit Bay, Turkey, Independent design check
• Mersey Gateway Crossing, UK, porject development & site audit
• River Don Crossing, Scotland, detail design, site supervision
• Wild Coast Bridges, South Africa detail design, site supervision
We have an impressive scope of work to deliver on a diverse range of bridge, railway and highway projects such as:
• Bridge replacement designs for the M4 and M6 Smart Motorways Projects
• Feasibility studies, designs and checking for pedestrian/cyclist bridges
• Design of elevated viaducts for the extension of Dubai Metro in the UAE
• Lower Thames Crossing
In addition to these projects we anticipate securing a number of significant and iconic bridge projects in the near future.
We are looking for an individual to be based at the Swindon office, working with a busy team of approximately 35 bridge engineers and technicians. You will play a key role in expanding the bridges business for the company, both regionally and internationally. With a recent increase in the portfolio of projects that we need to deliver, we are now looking to expand the team.
We are looking for a chartered Senior Bridge Engineer with experience of delivering projects involving new build analysis, detailed design, bridge inspection, assessment and rehabilitation schemes.
You will be passionate about bridge design, have a desire to succeed and be part of a winning team. A talented and experienced senior engineer looking to lead a project team that is responsible for the delivery of a range of challenging and ultimately rewarding projects.
This role will provide you with first class career development opportunities and enable you to become involved in career defining, technically challenging projects both locally and internationally. As such, we are looking for individuals seeking to take their career to the next level and work on projects that will become the highlight of their career to date.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
• Responsible for project delivery and undertake the role of technical lead on a range of bridge and highway related projects
• Lead and mentor bridge staff on tasks such as structural analysis, feasibility studies, tenders designs, detailed designs and the production of contract documents and technical reports
• Use your knowledge and skills in working together with the team and other disciplines in providing an integrated service to clients
• Help seek innovative solutions in achieving best value in delivering our services
• Help development of the team through the delivery of projects and commissions, providing technical and administrative support and leadership where required
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
• Chartered bridge engineer with extensive relevant work experience within a bridge design office. Specifically of the following areas:
Bridge assessment & inspection
• Full membership of an appropriate professional body such as the ICE or IStructE
• Working knowledge of Network Rail, London Underground and AASHTO standards and specifications
• Desire to mentor and coach those around you to ensure project delivery and advance the technical abilities of others
• Proven track record of delivery of bridge and highway related projects and an ability to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team
• Working knowledge of Eurocodes in the field of bridge design
• Experience of undertaking client facing roles and an ability to attract new clients into the business
• Experience of project financial management and bidding to deliver continued workload
• Relevant accredited engineering degree, Minimum 2:1 (Master’s Degree level)
• Computer literate with previous experience of using a structural engineering package
• Excellent written and spoken ability in English as you will be expected to discuss project requirements with clients, and produce quality reports and technical papers for review
• Excellent numerical, analytical skills
• Ability to deliver presentations
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
• Experience of using a range of analysis and drawing/modelling packages
• Experience in design of a range of bridge types
• Experience of Building Information Modelling (BIM)
• Experience in the design of large post-tensioned concrete bridges and/or large (marine) foundations
• Ability to undertake short-medium term overseas assignments
• Experience in the delivery of design and build consulting commissions
• Experience of stakeholder management
This role is only open to applicants able to accept local employment contract conditions and not expatriate employment terms. Please note that this role is only considering applications with valid working rights for the UK. CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position.
Learn more about our collaborative, friendly culture and the ways in which we’re driven to support diversity through multiple networks and initiatives. We support and encourage every employee’s professional growth and provide flexible working conditions where appropriate. We’re full of initiatives for creating a diverse and interesting place for professionals to work, as well as advance their career.
CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.