We are looking for a Design Engineer to join the team in Oxford.
The Oxfordshire Highways contract is an integrated contract delivering a range of capital major projects, capital maintenance programmes and asset management activities in partnership with Oxfordshire County Council.
Oxfordshire County Council maintains over 1000 highway structures, many of them with historic interest and key significance in the transport network, providing a varied and challenging workload. Some structures date back to the 12th Century and there are more River Thames crossings than in any other county. A key part of the role will be to undertake a variety of structures projects and asset management activities, and support the Technical Design Lead - Structures, in working across the service, to ensure an integrated approach to the provision of highway and transport infrastructure, delivering to agreed budgets and programmes
- Ensure a consistent quality of work in the design of highway and transport schemes, ensuring compliance with Skanska and contract Integrated Management System processes.
- Work closely with project managers, construction teams and other local teams to support a variety of structures schemes in an efficient and cost effective manner, within budget and to programme.
- Support a programme of principal/special inspections and structural assessments of highway structures to assist the client in effective asset management of the county bridge stock.
- Prepare of feasibility studies, outline designs, approval in principle submissions, detailed design deliverables, independent checking, as built information etc. in accordance with the client's brief, Skanska processes, and relevant legislation.
- Assist in other structures asset management activities such as abnormal load reviews, review of third party designs, prioritisation of structure maintenance programmes etc.
We're looking for:
- Excellent communication and reporting skills, working at all levels and able to communicate complex issues in a clearly and understandable way.
- Good customer focus and able to meet customer expectations alongside Skanska's standards, requirements and objectives.
- Good organisational and prioritisation skills.
- Self-motivated and performance focussed.
- Be an effective team player.
- Willingness to challenge tried and tested methods to deliver innovative, fit-for-purpose and cost effective solutions.
- A good attention to detail and reviewing skills to ensure the required level of quality of deliverables prepared by the design team.
Our infrastructure services team delivers projects that maintain and enhance the built environment. Part of that is our work to operate, maintain and improve large parts of the UK road network. Whether you're involved in frontline operational work, design, project management or office-based services, every day you'll be helping to improve the lives of millions of people.
A career with us means you'll have the freedom to develop your skills and leave your mark on the communities in which we work. Our competitive benefits package will help to enhance your life outside work, too.